This competition is now closed.
Win an AncestryDNA Kit and Journey into Your Own Past
To celebrate the publication of Lars Mytting’s epic family saga The Sixteen Trees of the Somme, we’re offering the chance to win one of two exclusive special edition copies of the novel and a very special kit that will help reveal your family’s past - the AncestryDNA kit from AncestryDNA. This simple test will open a door to your genetic ethnicity, taking you back through the generations to reveal the true origins and paths of your family.
Although more familiar to thousands of British readers as the author of the bestselling, almost zen-like guide to woodsmanship, Norwegian Wood, in his native Norway Mytting is rightfully celebrated as a novelist of real standing. The Sixteen Trees of the Somme, his third fiction to date, breathlessly transports the reader from the Norwegian rural village of Saksum to the wilds of the Shetlands as Edvard, the hero of our tale, sets out to uncover the dark secrets that haunt his family.
The writing is exceptional and the storyline truly unique: something tells us that this, Mytting’s first novel to be published in English, heralds a talent of real brilliance.
Pre-order your copy below before midnight on 9th August to be in with the chance of winning:
- A signed Waterstones exclusive special edition of The Sixteen Trees of the Somme
- An AncestryDNA Kit, from AncestryDNA
Terms and Conditions
- These terms and conditions apply to the pre-order draw entitled The Sixteen Trees of the Somme Pre-order Competition. Any Waterstones customer who pre-orders a copy of The Sixteen Trees of the Somme by Lars Mytting(9780857056047) (“Title”)before midnight on 9th August 2017 will be automatically entered into the draw to win. Only one entry per person is allowed notwithstanding multiple or second or subsequent purchases of the Title.
- Entrants must be aged 18 or over. Entrants must be residents of the UK. This prize draw is not open to employees or contractors of the Promoter or their immediate families, nor to any other person connected with the pre-order draw.
- There will be 2 prize winner(s), who will (each) an AncestryDNA kit and a hardback copy of The Sixteen Trees of the Somme (“Prize”).
- The Promoter reserves the right to amend the specification of the Prize or offer an alternative Prize of equivalent status. No cash alternative will be offered. The Prize is non-transferable.
- Unsuccessful entrants will not be contacted and no feedback on any entry will be provided. The decision of the Promoter on all matters is final.
- A random draw supervised by the Promoter will take place within five working days of 10/08/2017 to select the winner(s). The Prize winner(s) will be notified by telephone or email, and will need to respond by midnight within seven days of the date of contact. If a selected winner does not meet all of the necessary conditions or refuses the Prize, another entrant will be selected from the remaining eligible entries.
- The decision of the Promoter is final.
- By being entered into the draw, entrants consent to the use of their names, city of residence, photograph and/or image for publicity purposes in all media carried out by the Promoter (and in the case of there being more than one, each of them) without payment or compensation.
- The Promoter will make available the name and county of the winners to anyone who requests this information by writing to the following address 203-205 Piccadilly, London, W1J 9HD
- The Promoter may terminate, amend or withdraw this draw and/or these terms and conditions at any time.
- Entry to the pre-order draw is conditional on acceptance of these terms and conditions, which are governed by English Law. By entering this pre-order draw you are deemed to have read and accepted these terms.
Promoter: Waterstones Booksellers Limited (“Waterstones”) on behalf of itself and its associated companies in Ireland, The Netherlands and Belgium and Quercus.