This Competition is now closed.
Your exclusive opportunity to read in advance John le Carré’s masterful new novel, A Legacy of Spies
Peter Guillam – stoic, loyal, a disciple of master-spy George Smiley’s method and principles during his tenure as an intelligence officer within ‘The Circus’, the British overseas intelligence agency.
His days of the Circus are over. Now retired to his family farmstead on the south coast of Brittany, Guillam is oblivious that the past is under contemporary scrutiny, that the dramatic operations that were once the toast of the secret world are now being held to account. A new generation, oblivious to the past, a generation blind to the slow and deadly game of cat and mouse that so defined the Cold War, see only the innocent blood that has been spilled. And someone must atone.
John le Carré, author of Tinker Taylor Soldier Spy and The Night Manager, is without doubt the greatest author of the secret world writing today. Published on Thursday 7 September, A Legacy of Spies is his next novel and returns to some of his most enduringly popular subjects and characters, including that man with ‘the cunning of Satan and the conscience of a virgin’, George Smiley.
Pre-order your copy below before midnight on 7th August to be in with the chance of winning:
- A day at the Penguin Random House office reading the manuscript of A Legacy of Spies ahead of publication including;
- One night’s accommodation (for up to two people) at a 4* hotel in London
- A signed first edition of A Legacy of Spies on publication
Terms and Conditions
- These terms and conditions apply to the pre-order draw entitled Legacy of Spies Pre-order. Any Waterstones customer who pre-orders a copy of A Legacy of Spies by John le Carré (9780241308547) (“Title”) before midnight on 7th August 2017 will be automatically entered into the draw to win. Only one entry per person is allowed notwithstanding multiple or second or subsequent purchases of the Title.
- Entrants must be aged 18 or over. This prize draw is not open to employees or contractors of the Promoter or their immediate families, nor to any other person connected with the pre-order draw.
- There will be one prize winner, who will win a day at the Penguin Random House office reading the manuscript of A Legacy of Spies ahead of publication AND one night’s accommodation (for up to two people) at a 4* hotel in London AND a signed first edition of A Legacy of Spies on publication (“Prize”). The winner will be asked to sign a NDA and photos are not allowed while reading the manuscript.
- The signed copies of the Title is subject to availability. The Promoter reserves the right to amend the specification of the Prize or offer an alternative Prize of equivalent status. No cash alternative will be offered. The Prize is non-transferable.
- Unsuccessful entrants will not be contacted and no feedback on any entry will be provided. The decision of the Promoter on all matters is final.
- A random draw supervised by the Promoter will take place within five working days of 7th August 2017 to select the winner. The Prize winner will be notified by telephone or email, and will need to respond by midnight within seven days of the date of contact. If a selected winner does not meet all of the necessary conditions or refuses the Prize, another entrant will be selected from the remaining eligible entries.
- The decision of the Promoter is final.
- By being entered into the draw, entrants consent to the use of their names, city of residence, photograph and/or image for publicity purposes in all media carried out by the Promoter (and in the case of there being more than one, each of them) without payment or compensation.
- The Promoter may terminate, amend or withdraw this draw and/or these terms and conditions at any time.
- Entry to the pre-order draw is conditional on acceptance of these terms and conditions, which are governed by English Law. By entering this pre-order draw you are deemed to have read and accepted these terms.
Promoter: Waterstones Booksellers Limited (“Waterstones”) on behalf of itself and its associated companies in Ireland, The Netherlands and Belgium and Penguin Books Limited.