This Competition is now closed
Win One of Fifteen English Heritage Family Memberships Celebrating the Release of Simon Thurley’s Houses of Power
‘The result is a triumph,’ commented John Guy in The Literary Review on Simon Hurley’s superb new chronicle of grand Tudor living, Houses of Power. ‘A masterly collective biography of these buildings, replete with insights into their owners’ private lives and into politics, diplomacy and court etiquette.’ Hurley - architectural historian, and sometime Chief Executive of English Heritage, casts an exquisite eye over an entire era of grace, terror and statesmanship in what has to be one of 2017’s benchmark history releases.
To celebrate the release of this splendid volume, we have partnered with English Heritage to offer the prize of a year’s full Family Membership, worth £96. This entitles two adults and up to 12 children unlimited entry to over 400 historic places and an entire raft of other benefits, including a member’s magazine, handbook and money off other attractions. We have fifteen Memberships to be won, any of which could be yours by purchasing your copy of Simon Thurley’s Houses of Power. Our closing date is midnight of Thursday 18th May and winners will be chosen entirely at random.
English Heritage Membership gives you unlimited access to over 400 historic places for a whole year, where you can stand in the places history happened. The Family Membership package includes:
Unlimited Entry To Over 400 Historic Places
Members' Magazine And Handbook
Hundreds Of Historical Events
Money Off Other Attractions
This competition is only open to UK residents.
Our draw ends on the midnight of Thursday 18th May 2017 and anyone ordering a copy of Houses of Power until that time will be entered automatically.
Architectural historian and sometime Chief Executive of English Heritage Simon Hurley delivers a new benchmark in the historical analysis of the Tudor Period – Houses of Power. Gloriously presented and authoritatively compiled, this is the essential purchase this year for the British history reader.
Terms and Conditions
- These terms and conditions apply to the pre-order draw entitled English Heritage Membership Prize. Any Waterstones customer who buys a copy of Houses of Power by Simon Thurley (9780593074947) before midnight on 18th May will be automatically entered into the draw to win. Only one entry per person is allowed notwithstanding multiple or second or subsequent purchases of the title.
- There will be 15 prize winners, who will each win a year’s membership to English Heritage valid for 2 adults and up to 12 children.
- This draw is not open to employees or contractors of the Promoter or their immediate families, nor to any other person connected with the pre-order draw.
- The Promoter reserves the right to amend the specification of the Prize or offer an alternative Prize of equivalent status. No cash alternative will be offered. The Prize is non-transferable.
- Unsuccessful entrants will not be contacted and no feedback on any entry will be provided. The decision of the Promoter on all matters is final.
- A random draw supervised by the Promoter will take place within five working days of 18th May to select the winners. The Prize winners will be notified by telephone or email, and will need to respond by midnight within seven days of the date of contact. If a selected winner does not meet all of the necessary conditions or refuses the Prize, another entrant will be selected from the remaining eligible entries.
- The decision of the Promoter is final.
- By being entered into the draw, entrants consent to the use of their names, city of residence, photograph and/or image for publicity purposes in all media carried out by the Promoter (and in the case of there being more than one, each of them) without payment or compensation.
- The Promoter may terminate, amend or withdraw this draw and/or these terms and conditions at any time.
- Entry to the pre-order draw is conditional on acceptance of these terms and conditions, which are governed by English Law. By entering this pre-order draw you are deemed to have read and accepted these terms.
Promoter: Waterstones Booksellers Limited (“Waterstones”) on behalf of itself and its associated companies in Ireland, The Netherlands and Belgium and Penguin Random House.