Waterstones Plus Card and Waterstones Plus Student Card
Terms and Conditions
Waterstones offers a loyalty card scheme (the 'Waterstones Plus Card' or 'WPC', and 'Waterstones Plus Student Card' or 'WPSC') to reward its regular loyal customers (the 'WPC Scheme' and 'WPSC Scheme'). The following terms and conditions apply to these schemes and to any person who holds a WPC or a WPSC (a 'Cardholder').
1. To apply for a WPC and take advantage of the WPC Scheme you must be aged 16 years or over.
2.To apply for a WPSC and take advantage of the WPSC Scheme you must be aged 16 years or over and a student. A "student" means someone who is in full or part time higher or further education at a recognised learning establishment, or on a recognised apprentice scheme. All decisions as to who is or is not a qualifying student will be taken by Waterstones whose decision is final. To join the WPSC Scheme, you must present evidence of your current status as a student to a bookseller in a participating branch of Waterstones.
3. Subject to the general termination provisions below, a WPSC will be valid for 3 years from date of issue. Upon expiry of your WPSC, a WPSC will be replaced with a digital WPC and any accumulated stamps and/or Plus Balance will be transferred to this.
4. The WPC and WPSC Schemes are for personal use only. No corporate or business use is permitted.
How it works
5. The WPC Scheme and WPSC Scheme replace any previous Waterstones loyalty or other rewards scheme.
6. The WPC Scheme and WPSC Scheme are provided free of charge to all eligible customers who wish to join andpurchase goods in any participating branches of Waterstones or on Waterstones.com.
7. Waterstones reserves the right to alter, without prior notice, products included in or excluded from the WPC Scheme and/or WPSC Scheme and it reserves the right to change the number and/or composition of participating shops at any time.
8. If you have an old physical Waterstones points or stamps card, this will be upgraded to a new physical WPC or WPSC (as appropriate) when you next present it in a participating Waterstones shop. The old card must be surrendered and a Waterstones bookseller will need to take your name and email address so that the new WPC or WPSC (as appropriate) can be registered and activated and the balance on your old card can be transferred to the Plus balance on your new WPC or WPSC (as appropriate).
9. Alternatively, you can sign up for a digital WPC or digital WPSC (as appropriate) on Waterstones.com or the Waterstones mobile app and enter your old card number when prompted to convert your old card (and any balance) to a new digital WPC or digital WPSC (as appropriate) with a Plus balance (if applicable).
10. Your name and email address must be provided to Waterstones for a WPC or WPSC to be registered. You will receive an email with a link from us to confirm your details and activate your card. If you do not activate your WPC or WPSC as instructed, you will not be able to redeem your Plus balance.
Rewards and benefits
11. To collect stamps on eligible purchases in participating shops, Cardholders must present their WPC or WPSC at the till at the time of purchase or within 31 days of the date of purchase. In the latter case, proof of purchase using a validated till receipt will be required for the stamps to be loaded. To collect stamps for a transaction online, the unique number on your WPC or WPSC must be linked to your Waterstones.com account at the time of purchase. Cardholders cannot claim stamps on purchases made before they joined the WPC Scheme or WPSC Scheme.
12. Stamps will be awarded on, and Plus balances can be redeemed against, all products purchased in participating Waterstones shops or on Waterstones.com, with the exception of:
- gift vouchers, electronic gift cards, book tokens, theatre tokens, events tickets and postage stamps
- in shop purchases from Waterstones concessions; and
- such other products as Waterstones may decide upon, in its full discretion, from time to time.
13. The WPC Scheme and the WPSC Scheme cannot be used in conjunction with Lecturer Loyalty, Society of Authors, Reading Group or Publisher 10% discounts, or the online UNiDAYS offer, but can be used in conjunction with other discounts or promotions, earning stamps and redeeming Plus balance on the net value after discounts. Waterstones reserves the right to withdraw this at any time.14. Cardholders will receive stamps on qualifying purchases as follows:
- in participating shops in the UK and online, stamps are currently awarded at a rate of 1 stamp for every £10 spent on eligible items, with the exception of spend between £5 and £9.99 on eligible items, which will earn half a stamp as a single item purchase 'Single Book Bonus'.
- in participating Waterstones shops in the Republic of Ireland (ROI) and Europe (excluding the UK), stamps are awarded at a rate of 1 stamp for every €12 spent on eligible items, with the exception of spend between €6 and £11.99 on eligible items, which will earn half a stamp as a single item purchase 'Single Book Bonus'.
WPSC Cardholders will receive an additional 5% instant reward discount on eligible items net of any other Waterstones discounts. Stamps will be calculated on eligible spend after the 5% instant reward has been applied.
These rates can be altered at any time at the discretion of Waterstones.
15. Stamps will usually be loaded on to a WPC or WPSC instantly in participating shops, except in circumstances of system failure when it is expected that stamps will be loaded within 48 hours. For customer orders and pre-orders in shops, stamps will be earned when the WPC or WPSC is presented on collection of the order. In most circumstances any manual or bonus stamps awarded will be loaded onto the WPC or WPSC 72 hours after the date the goods are purchased. Stamps from Waterstones.com transactions will be automatically loaded within 72 hours of goods being dispatched.
16. Once 10 stamps have been collected, these will be credited overnight to your available Plus balance at a value of £10 Plus balance per 10 stamps in the UK and online and at a value of €12 Plus balance per 10 stamps in participating ROI and European shops (excluding the UK). Waterstones reserves the right to vary the rates at any time. There is no minimum spend of the available Plus balance and Cardholders can redeem any Plus balance value loaded onto an activated WPC or WPSC at any time.
17. A Plus balance can be used as part or full payment for goods. The full stamps value on eligible purchases will only be earned if no Plus balance is redeemed as part of the transaction. When a Plus balance is redeemed as part of a transaction, stamps will be awarded on the eligible cash balance.
18. Stamps have no cash redemption value and cannot be exchanged, sold or transferred. If overpayment is made using a Plus balance, no change or credit will be given.
19. Waterstones will reverse the associated stamps earned or balance redeemed if a transaction on which stamps are earned or balance is redeemed is fully or partially cancelled or reversed or when a product is returned (in accordance with the Waterstones Returns Policy). For shop purchases, the Cardholder must present their WPC or WPSC to sales staff so that any stamps awarded can be debited from or credited to the WPC or WPSC for the product being returned.
20. Your WPC or WPSC cannot be used as a credit card or a guarantee card.
21. Neither the WPC or WPSC nor stamps or Plus balances are transferable to any other Cardholder but the stamps or Plus balance on a WPC can be transferred to a WPSC and vice versa where the registered user is the same person.
22. If your WPC or WPSC is lost, stolen or, for whatever reason, not working, you should notify a member of staff at a participating Waterstones shop or contact Waterstones Customer Support. Waterstones will not accept any liability for lost, stolen or damaged WPCs or WPSCs, nor for any stamps or Plus balance accrued on or redeemed from the WPC or WPSC without your knowledge. Waterstones reserves the right not to issue a replacement WPC or WPSC in any circumstances.
23. To obtain a replacement WPSC, you must present evidence that you are still a student to a participating branch of Waterstones.
24. Your WPC or WPSC and any replacements are issued by and remain the property of Waterstones.
25. A Cardholder can choose to leave the WPC Scheme or WPSC Scheme at any time by giving written notice to Waterstones, or by leaving his/her WPC or WPSC at any participating Waterstones shop. By leaving the WPC Scheme or WPSC Scheme, a Cardholder forfeits all and any stamps or Plus balance already accrued or issued, unless the Cardholder is transferring between WPC and WPSC Schemes and the stamps or Plus balance are legitimately transferred to another WPC or WPSC.
26. If you breach, or if Waterstones reasonably believes that you have breached, these terms and conditions, your WPC or WPSC may be suspended or terminated without prior notice and any accumulated stamps or Plus balance may be forfeited. Waterstones reserves the right to take any action deemed necessary where a Cardholder is found to have abused the WPC Scheme or WPSC Scheme.
27. A Cardholder who, for a consecutive period of 12 months, does not collect any stamps or redeem any Plus balance, check their Plus balance by logging in to the Waterstones.com account linked to their WPC or WPSC, or check their Plus balance in a participating Waterstones shop, will have their WPC or WPSC account and any associated stamps or Plus balance terminated without notice, and will need to reapply for a new WPC or WPSC should they wish to re-join and begin collecting again.
28. Waterstones reserves the right on notice to Cardholders to: (i) stop issuing WPCs or WPSCs at any time; (ii) amend the benefits of the WPC or WPSC Scheme at any time; (iii) alter or amend these terms and conditions and the operation of the WPC and/or WPC Scheme or the WPSC and/or WPSC Scheme; and (iv) withdraw or cancel a WPC or WPSC and/or the stamps or Plus balance (including the redemption and issue of such) and/or terminate the WPC or WPSC Scheme. For the purposes of this paragraph, and any other paragraphs which contain a right for or an obligation upon Waterstones to give notice, the period of notice will be such duration, if any, as Waterstones in its absolution discretion decides and will be considered adequately given if (a) sent to the Cardholder at the email address (if any) held by Waterstones for that Cardholder and (b) by Waterstones placing a copy of the notice on its website, Waterstones.com.
Your personal information
30. It is important that your contact details are kept up to date in order that Waterstones can operate the WPC Scheme and WPSC Scheme effectively. Please keep your details up to date by logging in to your account on Waterstones.com or notifying your local participating shop if your details are incorrect or become out of date. You can also update your details (including your email address) at any time by contacting Waterstones Customer Support.
31. These terms and conditions, the WPC Scheme and WPSC Scheme and our dealings with you in connection with these are subject to the laws of England and Wales.
32. If any provision of these terms and conditions is held to be invalid in whole or in part, that part shall be deleted and the remaining terms and conditions shall not be affected.
Your statutory rights
33. Nothing in these terms and conditions will affect or reduce your statutory rights.
34. If you have any questions about the WPC Scheme or WPSC Scheme, please contact Waterstones Customer Support or write to us at: Customer Service Manager, Waterstones Book Hub, UTL, Fifth Avenue, Centrum One Hundred, Burton on Trent, DE14 2UZ, or in Eire, to Waterstones, 56-58 Dawson Street, Dublin 2, Eire.
"Waterstones" means Waterstones Booksellers Limited (company number: 00610095) whose registered office address is at 203-206 Piccadilly, London, W1J 9HD and certain of its associated companies.