Tips for creating a strong password
It's important, whenever creating an online password, to think carefully about your choice, striking the balance between memorability and vulnerability. Too obvious, or simple a password could be easily guessed, too complicated and there's a good change you will forget it.
Passwords to avoid
We prevent the most commonly used passwords and your previously-used password from being created on our website. To this end, please avoid using any of the following as your password:
- Your name or nickname
- Your email address
- The names of your family members (including maiden names), or pets
- The name of a famous person, music group or sporting team that you are known to like
- The same password that you use for your email account
- Sequences of numbers, or repeated numbers, for example 123456, or 555555
- A memorable date, especially the dates of birth of you and your family
- The word 'Password', even with an extra digit at the end, for example Password7
- Any other single word, as these are easy for a hacker to guess
- Replacing letters in a common word with numbers, for example Pa55word
Creating a strong password
- Ideally 8 characters in length, but the longer the better
- Incorporate lower and uppercase letters, numbers and ideally at least one symbol such as £ $ % ^ & * @ ( ) + -
- Try combining two or three unrelated words, BookMarmaladeSnowstorm is harder to guess than HamEggChips
- Mismatch two or more books titles, for example Animal Farm and Fahrenheit 451 could give AnimalFahrenheit451
- Take the first letters from a longer book title, for example The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared could give T100yomwcootwad.
Look after your password and it will look after you.
- Please don't share you password with anyone else
- If you suspect somebody else knows your password, change it immediately
- Ideally, you should use a different password for every website you use
- We will never ask you for your password, neither by email, nor by phone
Would you like to proceed to the App store to download the Waterstones App?
Or, add to basket, pay online, collect in as little as 2 hours, subject to availability.