Waterstones Gift Cards, National Book Tokens and Other Vouchers
Here you’ll find Frequently Asked Questions and Terms and Conditions for our range of Waterstones Gift Cards and eGifts, National Book Tokens and information on other gift cards, vouchers and tokens from selected service partners that we accept in our shops and online.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I use Waterstones Gift Cards and National Book Tokens online?
Yes, we happily accept Waterstones Gift Cards and eGifts and National Book Token gift cards and digital cards for online payment, in addition to pre-paid gift cards provided by VISA and MasterCard, for example.
Please note that Waterstones Gift Cards/eGifts cannot be purchased using the balance of a Waterstones or National Book Token Gift Card.
How do I spend a Waterstones or National Book Token Gift Card or eGift?
How to Pay:
- Select your items and proceed to the checkout as usual.
- On the 'Payment' page, enter the Waterstones or National Book Token Gift Card/eGift number.
- Enter the security code or PIN that is hidden beneath the scratch-off strip (or provided with your eGift), then select 'Add Gift Card'.
- The available balance will be displayed.
- Choose how much of the balance to use and select 'Apply Gift Cards'. You will then see the order total change to reflect the redemption.
- If you have no further balance to pay, select 'Place Order', otherwise scroll down to select another payment method.
We will take payment from Waterstones and National Book Token Gift Cards and eGifts (as well as any redeemed Waterstones Plus balance) at the point an order is placed. If there is any remaining balance to pay, this will be taken from your other chosen payment method when your order is ready for dispatch.
Please note that Waterstones Gift Cards and eGifts cannot be purchased using the balance of a Waterstones or National Book Token Gift Card or eGift.
How can I top up my Waterstones Gift Card?
You can top up your Waterstones Gift Card at any Waterstones bookshop. Just present your Waterstones Gift Card to a bookseller and purchase the amount you would like added to your Gift Card.
You cannot however top up Waterstones Gift Cards online at Waterstones.com.
How can I check my Waterstones Gift Card or eGift balance?
You can check the balance of your Waterstones Gift Card or eGift in three ways:
- On the Gift Card page, accessed from your Account Dashboard on Waterstones.com.
- If you make a purchase with, or top-up the value of, your Waterstones Gift Card/eGift in one of our bookshops, the new balance will be printed on your till receipt.
- Present your Waterstones Gift Card/eGift to a bookseller at the till and they will be able to confirm its balance.
My order confirmation email shows the full price. Have you not taken my Waterstones or National Book Token Gift Card payment?
The total shown on your order confirmation email and on your dispatch note is the total value of products purchased before any Waterstones or National Book Token Gift Card values (or Waterstones Plus balance) have been deducted.
If you use a Waterstones or National Book Token Gift Card for full or part payment on an order, this will be highlighted in the payment summary and the value will be deducted from your final payment.
Do I earn Waterstones Plus Stamps if I purchase Waterstones Gift Cards?
No - Gift Card and eGift purchases are exempt from earning Plus Stamps. Please see our Waterstones Plus Card Terms & Conditions for further details.
Can I use a Waterstones or National Book Token Gift Card and another payment method on the same order?
Yes - if you wish to use your Waterstones or National Book Token Gift Card to pay for part for an order, enter the Gift Card number and security code/PIN at the checkout, decide the balance to use, and select 'Apply Gift Cards', then select another payment method for the remaining total.
I want to cancel an order paid with a Waterstones or National Book Token Gift Card or eGift. How will I be refunded?
Any Waterstones or National Book Token Gift Card or eGift refunds you receive will be transferred to the Waterstones or National Book Token Gift Card or eGift you used for the order.
If you have a Waterstones.com account, your Gift Card will be stored and the balance will be ready to use in the checkout when you next place an order.
If you do not have a Waterstones.com account and no longer possess the Waterstones or National Book Token Gift Card, please contact us for assistance using our Customer Support Form. Or, if you know your National Book Token Gift Card number, please contact National Book Tokens, via https://www.nationalbooktokens.com/contact, or by contacting their Consumer Helpline: 0845 6041698.
I have purchased a Waterstones eGift for someone else, but they have not received it. Can you help?
Sometimes, eGifts do not reach their intended recipient as they may be seen as undesirable emails by that recipient’s email provider. If you have arranged an eGift to be delivered and it has not been received, please ask the recipient to check their spam or junk folders, as the email carrying their eGift may be found there.If you have a Waterstones account, you can check and update the details relating to your eGift order on your Orders page. Alternatively, please contact our Customer Support team for further assistance.
I want to return a Waterstones or National Book Token Gift Card. Is this possible?
Waterstones or National Book Token Gift Cards which have been purchased in-store cannot be returned and are not refundable.
Waterstones Gift Cards which have been purchased online may be returned and a refund will be given, provided:
- The Gift Card is unused and undamaged
- Proof of purchase is provided
- You notify us within 14 days of receiving the Gift Card that you wish to cancel your purchase
- You return the Gift Card to us within 14 days of giving such notice
Please see our Waterstones Gift Card Terms & Conditions for further details.
Can I use paper vouchers on Waterstones.com?
Do you accept Waterstones Euro Gift Cards online?
We do not accept Waterstones Euro Gift Cards online at Waterstones.com. These are however readily accepted within our European locations in Ireland, Amsterdam and Brussels; for their opening times, please use our shop finder.
Buying Waterstones Gift Cards In Other Shops
You can now purchase a Waterstones UK gift card from other retailers including Boots, Morrisons, Tesco, Argos, and The Co-operative.
This gift card is redeemable in the same way as one bought from Waterstones, and you can use it to make a purchase in any of our Waterstones bookshops or on Waterstones.com.
Please note the cards are sold in denominations of £15 and £25 only and the same gift card terms and conditions apply.
National Book Tokens
We accept National Book Token gift cards,both physical and digital, on our website as well as in our shops. We cannot accept paper National Book Token online, these are still redeemable in shops though.
How can I check the balance of my National Book Token Gift Card or eGift?
You can check the balance of your National Book Token Gift Card or eGift in three ways:
- Visit https://nbtbooksellers.co.uk/EGC/BalanceEnquiry.aspx
- When shopping in our bookshops, making a purchase with your National Book Token will generate the Card's balance on your paper receipt.
- Present your National Book Token to a bookseller and they will be able to confirm the card's balance verbally at the till.
- Add the National Book Token at checkout, to see the current balance.
What can I do if I have a problem with my National Book Token Gift Card or eGift?
You can check your National Book Token's balance here: https://nbtbooksellers.co.uk/EGC/BalanceEnquiry.aspx
You can check if your National Book Token has expired, here: https://nbtbooksellers.co.uk/nbtservices/expiredcard.aspx
For all other problems, please visit: https://www.nationalbooktokens.com/contact or contact their Consumer Helpline: 0845 6041698.
Other Gifts Cards and Vouchers
In our shops, we are happy to redeem National Book Tokens and other gift cards and vouchers from selected service partners. The following gift cards and vouchers are accepted in our shops, but we do not currently accept them on Waterstones.com;
- National Book Token paper vouchers
- Love2Shop cards/paper vouchers
- Waterstones Euro gift cards
- One4All gift cards/paper vouchers
- Leisure Vouchers
Can I use paper Vouchers online?
Paper vouchers are accepted in Waterstones shops, but not on Waterstones.com.
Do you accept One4All Gift Cards or paper vouchers online?
No - we do not accept One4All gift cards/paper vouchers online at Waterstones.com. These are however welcomed in our bookshops; please visit One4All Customer Support for further information.
Do you accept Love2shop Gift Cards or paper vouchers online?
Do you accept paper Leisure Vouchers, Gift Cards or e-Gift Card online?
We do not accept paper Leisure Vouchers, their Gift Card or e-Gift Card online at Waterstones.com. Paper Leisure Vouchers are however welcomed in our bookshops; please visit Leisure Vouchers FAQs for further information.
For lovers of the stage, Theatre Tokens are the perfect gift of choice. Without expiry and valid in more than 260 venues across the country, for over 36 years Theatre Tokens have proved an invaluable way to support this most precious of arts. Theatre Tokens are available to buy online here and in selected Waterstones bookshops (please phone ahead to check availability at your local shop).
You Might Be Looking For...
Waterstones Gift Card Terms & Conditions
- Validly activated gift cards and eGifts issued by Waterstones UK ("Sterling Gift Cards") can be used as full or part payment for goods in Waterstones shops across the UK, the Isle of Man and Jersey and for purchases made online at Waterstones.com.
- For online purchases please follow the redemption procedure accordingly (see above).
- No change or refunds will be given where the sales transaction is for an amount less than the balance on the gift card but the balance may be applied to future purchases.
- Gift cards cannot be used to purchase gift vouchers, eGifts, additional gift cards or book tokens nor can a gift card (and any gift card balance) be exchanged for cash.
- Waterstones reserves the right to refuse to accept any gift card payment where it deems that a gift card or eGift has been tampered with, duplicated or where it is otherwise suspected to be affected by fraud.
- A gift card or eGift is for personal use only and it may not be used for commercial purposes (including but not limited to resale) without Waterstones prior written consent.
- Gift cards and eGifts are exempt from Waterstones Standard Returns Policy.
- A physical Waterstones gift card purchased online may be returned to Waterstones undamaged, unused and with proof of purchase and Waterstones will refund the value of the gift card. Please note:
- You must inform Waterstones of your intention to cancel your purchase within 14 days of the date that you receive your gift card from us. You must either: email us at [email protected], telephone us on 0115 907 1899 or write to us at Waterstones c/o Encompass Print Solutions, Encompass House, Manners Industrial Estate, 17 Birkdale Close, Ilkeston, Derbyshire DE7 8YA.
- Please include a clear statement that you wish to cancel your purchase and details of your name, address, details of the order you wish to cancel and, where you have provided them to us as part of your order, your phone number and email address.
- After you have informed Waterstones of your intention to cancel your purchase, you should return the gift card to us at your cost within 14 days of your giving us notice to cancel your purchase and Waterstones will reimburse to you (by the method used to pay for the original transaction) the amount, less the cost of postage. Waterstones will make the reimbursement no later than 14 days after the day Waterstones receives back from you the returned gift card.
National Book Token Gift Card Terms & Conditions
Please visit: https://www.nationalbooktokens.com/giftcardtandcs
Would you like to proceed to the App store to download the Waterstones App?