Gift Cards and Vouchers
Waterstones' range of gift cards and vouchers means that you can always find the right gift, whatever the occasion. We have gift cards for book-lovers, for students, and those who enjoy the theatre, too.
Have a question about our gift cards? Take a look at the answers to frequently asked questions below.
The Waterstones UK gift card is the perfect way to treat family and friends. You can spend your gift card in all Waterstones UK bookshops and online at Waterstones.com. *Terms and conditions apply.
Shop for larger corporate orders over £250 - card and paper vouchers are available as well as discounts.
Looking for a special gift, but don't know what to buy? With Theatre Tokens, you can give the gift of choice - the perfect present for anyone. Available to buy online and in selected bookshops (please see below for details).
Buying Waterstones Gift Cards In Other Shops
You can now purchase a Waterstones UK gift card from other retailers including Boots, Morrisons, Tesco, Argos, and The Co-operative.
This gift card is redeemable in the same way as one bought from Waterstones, and you can use it to make a purchase in any of our Waterstones bookshops or on Waterstones.com.
Please note the cards are sold in denominations of £15 and £25 only and the same gift card terms and conditions apply.
Frequently Asked Questions
If you have any difficulties with your Waterstones gift card, contact our Customer Support Team for help.
How Can I Top Up My Gift Card?
You can top-up your gift card at any Waterstones shop. Simply present your gift card at the till point and pay in the normal way. Unfortunately you cannot top-up your gift card on Waterstones.com at the present time.
How Can I Check My Gift Card Balance?
You can check your balance in three ways:
- By visiting https://www.waterstones.com/account/giftcards and adding the gift card to your account.
- You will receive a receipt with your balance when you use the gift card to make a purchase or when you top it up in a Waterstones bookshop.
- Present your gift card to a bookseller at any till point in a Waterstones bookshop and they will tell you your balance.
How Can I Use My Gift Card to Pay For An Online Order?
You can use a Waterstones UK gift card to pay for any order on Waterstones.com.
Simply follow these steps:
- Select your products and go to the checkout as usual.
- On the 'Payment' page, enter the gift card number and the security code in the 'Waterstones Gift Cards' section and select 'Add Gift Card'. The security code is the three digit number on the reverse of the card.
- The available balance of the card will be displayed. Choose how much of the balance to use and select 'Apply Gift Cards'.
- You will then see the order total change to reflect the gift card payment.
- If you have no further balance to pay, select 'Place Order', otherwise scroll down to select another payment method.
We will take payment from gift cards (and Waterstones Plus cards) at the point an order is placed. If there is any remaining balance to pay, this will be taken from your other chosen payment method(s) when your order is ready for dispatch.
My Order Confirmation Email Shows the Full Price. Have You Not Taken My Gift Card Payment?
The total shown on your order confirmation email and on your dispatch note is the total value of products purchased before any gift card values (or Waterstones Plus balance) have been deducted.
If you use a gift card for full or part payment on an order, this will be highlighted in the payment summary and the value will be deducted from your final payment.
Do I earn Plus Stamps if I purchase Gift Cards?
Gift Card purchases are exempt from earning Plus Stamps. Please see our Waterstones Plus Card Terms & Conditions for further details.
Can I Use a Gift Card and Another Payment Method on the Same Order?
If you wish to use your gift card to pay for part for an order, enter the gift card number and security code at the checkout, decide the gift card balance to use and select 'Apply Gift Cards', then select another payment method for the remaining total.
I Want to Cancel an Order Paid With a Gift Card. How Am I Refunded?
Any gift card refunds you receive will go back on to the card you used for the order, so remember to keep hold of it. The card will also be saved in your Waterstones.com account and the balance will be ready to use when you next place an order.
I Want To Return A Gift Card. Is This Possible?
Gift Cards which have been purchased in-store cannot be returned and are not refundable.
Gift Cards which have been purchased online may be returned and a refund will be given, provided that the Gift Card is unused and undamaged, proof of purchase is provided, you notify us within 14 days of receiving the Gift Card that you wish to cancel your purchase and you return the Gift Card to us within 14 days of giving such notice. Please see the Terms & Conditions for further details.
Can I Use Paper Gift Vouchers and/or Book Tokens on Waterstones.com?
We regret to say that we cannot accept paper vouchers or book tokens as payment on Waterstones.com.
For a list of accepted payment methods see our Online Pricing and Payments help page.
Where Can I Purchase Theatre Tokens?
Theatre tokens are available to purchase online from www.waterstonesgiftcards.com and in the following of our bookshops:Aberdeen, Alton, Altrincham, Amersham, Andover, Ashford, Aylesbury, Ayr, Banbury, Barnet, Barnstaple, Barrow-in-Furness, Basingstoke, Bath, Bedford, Berkhamsted, Birkenhead, Birmingham, Bishop's Stortford, Blackpool, Bluewater, Bolton, Bournemouth - Arcade, Bournemouth - Castlepoint, Bracknell, Bradford, Brentwood, Brighton, Bristol - Galleries, Bromley, Burton-on-Trent, Bury, Bury St Edmunds - Arc Centre, Bury St Edmunds - Butter Market, Camberley, Cambridge, Canterbury - Rose Lane, Cardiff, Carlisle, Carmarthen, Chatham, Chelmsford, Cheltenham, Chesham, Chester, Chesterfield, Chichester, Chippenham, Cirencester, Colchester - High Street, Coleraine, Coventry, Crawley, Crewe, Croydon, Darlington, Derby, Doncaster, Dorchester, Dorking, Dumfries, Dundee, Dunfermline, Durham, East Kilbride, Eastbourne, Edinburgh - Cameron Toll, Edinburgh - Ocean Terminal, Edinburgh - West End, Enfield, Exeter - High Street, Exeter - Roman Gate, Falkirk, Fareham, Farnham, Folkestone, Gateshead, Glasgow - Argyle Street, Glasgow - Braehead, Glasgow - Sauchiehall Street, Glasgow - The Fort, Gloucester, Godalming, Grimsby, Guildford, Hanley, Harpenden Books, Harrogate, Harrow, Hatfield, Haywards Heath, Hemel Hempstead, Hereford, Hexham, High Wycombe, Hitchin, Horsham, Huddersfield, Hull, Hull University, Ilford, Inverness, Ipswich, Kendal, Kettering, Kingston upon Thames, Kirkcaldy, Knutsford, Lakeside, Lancaster - Corn Market, Lancaster - King Street, Leamington Spa, Leeds, Lewes, Lincoln - Cornhill, Lincoln - High St, Liverpool, Livingston, Llandudno, London - Camden, London - Canary Wharf (Cabot Place), London - Canary Wharf (Jubilee Place), London - Chiswick, London - Clapham Junction, London - Covent Garden, London - Crouch End, London - Ealing, London - Finchley, London - Finchley Road O2 Centre, London - Gower Street, London - Greenwich, London - Hampstead, London - Hatchards - Piccadilly, London - Hatchards - St Pancras, London - Islington, London - Kensington, London - King's Road, London - Leadenhall Market, London - Notting Hill, London - Piccadilly, London - Putney, London - Tottenham Court Road, London - Trafalgar Square, London - Walthamstow, London - Wandsworth, London - Wimbledon, Loughborough, Lymington, Macclesfield, Maidstone, Manchester - Arndale Centre, Manchester - Deansgate, Market Harborough, Middlesbrough, Milton Keynes - Midsummer Place, Milton Keynes - Silbury Arcade, Morpeth, Newbury, Newcastle, Newport - Gwent, Newport - Isle of Wight, Newton Abbot, Newton Mearns, Northallerton, Northampton, Norwich - Castle Street, Nottingham, Nuneaton, Oldham, Ormskirk, Orpington, Oxford, Perth, Petersfield, Plymouth - Drake Circus, Plymouth - New George Street, Poole, Portsmouth, Preston, Reading - Broad Street, Redditch, Redhill, Richmond, Ringwood, Romford, Salisbury, Scarborough, Sheffield - Meadowhall - Park Lane, Sheffield - Meadowhall - The Arcade, Sheffield - Orchard Square, Shrewsbury, Southampton - West Quay, Southend, Southport, St Albans, St Andrews, Stafford, Staines, Stirling, Stockport, Stratford-upon-Avon, Sunderland, Sutton, Sutton Coldfield, Swansea, Swindon, Teddington, Telford, Tenterden, Thanet, Trafford Centre, Truro, Tunbridge Wells, Twickenham, Uxbridge, Wakefield, Walsall, Walton-on-Thames, Warrington, Watford, Wells, Welwyn Garden City, Wigan, Wilmslow, Winchester - High Street, Winchester - The Brooks, Windsor, Witney, Woking, Wolverhampton, Worcester, Worthing, Wrexham, Yarm, Yeovil, York.
* Waterstones Gift Card Terms & Conditions
- Validly activated gift cards issued by Waterstones UK ("Sterling Gift Cards") can be used as full or part payment for goods in Waterstones shops across the UK, the Isle of Man and Jersey and for purchases made online at Waterstones.com.
Validly activated gift cards issued by Waterstones Ireland ("Euro Gift Cards") can be used as full or part payment for goods in Waterstones shops across the Republic of Ireland.
- For online purchases please follow the redemption procedure accordingly (see above).
- No change or refunds will be given where the sales transaction is for an amount less than the balance on the gift card but the balance may be applied to future purchases.
- Gift cards cannot be used to purchase gift vouchers, additional gift cards or book tokens nor can a gift card (and any gift card balance) be exchanged for cash.
- Waterstones reserves the right to refuse to accept any gift card payment where it deems that a gift card has been tampered with, duplicated or where it is otherwise suspected to be affected by fraud.
- A gift card is for personal use only and it may not be used for commercial purposes (including but not limited to resale) without Waterstones prior written consent.
- Gift cards are exempt from Waterstones Standard Returns Policy. However, any gift card which is purchased online may be returned to Waterstones undamaged, unused and with proof of purchase and Waterstones will refund the value of the gift card. Please note:
- You must inform Waterstones of your intention to cancel your purchase within 14 days of the date that you receive your gift card from us. You must either: email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, telephone us on 0115 907 1899 or write to us at Waterstones c/o Encompass Print Solutions, Encompass House, Manners Industrial Estate, 17 Birkdale Close, Ilkeston, Derbyshire DE7 8YA.
- Please include a clear statement that you wish to cancel your purchase and details of your name, address, details of the order you wish to cancel and, where you have provided them to us as part of your order, your phone number and email address.
- After you have informed Waterstones of your intention to cancel your purchase, you should return the gift card to us at your cost within 14 days of your giving us notice to cancel your purchase and Waterstones will reimburse to you (by the method used to pay for the original transaction) the amount, less the cost of postage. Waterstones will make the reimbursement no later than 14 days after the day Waterstones receives back from you the returned gift card.
- The minimum amount required to activate or top-up a gift card is £1 for Sterling Gift Cards (€1 for Euro Gift Cards) and the maximum gift card limit is £500 for Sterling Gift Cards (€500 for Euro Gift Cards).
- A gift card is not a cheque guarantee, debit or credit card.
- If a Sterling Gift Card is not used for a period of 2 years from the date or purchase (or date of last card transaction, if later), it will automatically expire and any remaining balance will be deducted.
If a Euro Gift Card is not used for a period of 5 years from date of purchase (or date of last card transaction, if later), it will automatically expire and any remaining balance will be deducted.
- Please protect your gift card and treat it as cash. Waterstones cannot be held liable for lost, stolen or damaged gift cards or any credit amounts on such gift cards. Waterstones reserves the right to issue another gift card for the unspent balance of an original gift card at its discretion on production of your original receipt, but Waterstones is not responsible for funds used without your knowledge.
- Waterstones reserves the right to add to or waive these terms and conditions on reasonable notice for legal, security or regulatory reasons or to discontinue the gift card scheme at any time in the event of circumstances beyond its reasonable control. Customers will be notified in advance via in-store displays in the event of any such change.
- Gift cards may be used for payment of goods of a higher price than the current gift card balance, on payment of the difference. Over payments, where goods are subsequently exchanged for goods of a lower price, will be added to the balance of the gift card (see above for online procedure).
- Additional terms and conditions apply for online gift card use - please see above.
Sterling Gift cards are issued by Waterstones Booksellers Limited, 203-206, Piccadilly, London, W1J 9HD (Company number 00610095).
Euro Gift Cards are issued by Waterstones Booksellers Ireland Limited, 6th Floor, 2 Grand Canal Square, Dublin 2 (Company number 362624) (“Waterstones Ireland”).
Would you like to proceed to the App store to download the Waterstones App?
For shops outside of these areas: reserve online, pay on collection.
Or, add to basket, pay online, collect in as little as 2 hours, subject to availability.