- Gower Street Gallery (events), Gower Records vinyl shop, Biography, Film, Music, Sport, Film & TV, Second Hard, Rare & Antiquarian, Ryman's stationers, Fashion & Design, Photography, Art
Waterstones London - Gower Street
82 Gower Street, London, WC1E 6EQView on Map
We are temporarily closed.
- Call us on 0207 636 1577
- Twitter: @gowerst_books
- Facebook: waterstonesgowerstreet
- Instagram: @waterstonesgowerstreet
Sign up to our shop's emails
Hear first about exclusive events, book clubs and news, tailor your bespoke selection below
Waterstones Gower Street is Europe's largest new and second hand bookshop, with enormous academic/specialist range – home to an award-winning events programme, Dillon's coffee shop and vinyl store Gower Records
Located in the heart of Bloomsbury, nestled between UCL, Birkbeck and SOAS, our Grade II listed building was designed by Charles Fitzroy Doll in 1908. The first bookshop on the site was the original Dillon's, opened by Una Dillon herself in a small area of the ground floor in 1956. With plenty of nooks and crannies for studying and reading, a thriving events programme and five miles worth of new and second hand titles, Waterstones Gower Street is one of Europe’s most exciting bookshops.
In the Basement, the Gower Street Gallery hosts our award-winning programme of events, alongside regular shows by artists. Newly-opened Gower Records is our vinyl-only record shop carrying both new and second-hand stock, covering a broad variety of genres from '70s punk through to contemporary pop and classic Brazilian tropicalia.
Our Second Hand Department contains our most recent rare acquisitions and collections of antique books alongside an impressively stocked Art and Design department.
Our Ground Floor is home to our extensive History, Politics and Travel departments, as well a huge range of original green-, blue- and orange- spine Penguin Paperbacks. Our coffee shop Dillons Cafe, serves Union coffee, a range of pastries and cakes from local bakeries, sandwiches and salads, as well as wine and beer if you’re after something a little stronger.
Our Children’s Department on First Floor has a wide-range of well-loved childhood classics and the best new titles, as well as a window-seat perfect for cosying up with a favourite storybook. An archway fashioned entirely from books leads you into our world class Education Department. You’ll also find Fiction of every genre on our first floor.
The Second and Third Floors are our dedicated Academic floors, and aim to stock a comprehensive range of titles across numerous disciplines, including Philosophy, Languages Theology, Science, Maths and Medicine (including stethoscopes, scrubs and skulls).
- History, Travel, London, Newspapers & Magazines, Politics, Military, Dillons Coffeeshop
- Fiction (including Second Hand and first editions), Childrens', Education
- Medical (inc stethoscopes, skulls & scrubs), Computing, Chemistry, Physics & Biology, Mathematics, Popular Science & Scientific Biography, Geology, Geography & Urban Planning, Economics, Business, Finance & Accounting, Law, Careers
- Foreign Languages, EFL, Foreign Literature, English Language & Reference, Linguistics, Literary Criticism, Religion, Greek & Roman Classics, Psychology, Sociology & Social Sciences (inc Research), Study Skills, Philosophy
- London - Gower Street
- 82 Gower Street
- WC1E 6EQ
Would you like to proceed to the App store to download the Waterstones App?
Please note that owing to current COVID-19 restrictions, many of our shops are closed. Find out more by clicking here.