- Travel, London, Biography, Film, Music, Sport, Film & TV, Political Texts, History, Military, Archaeology, Transport, Rare & Antiquarian, Ryman's, Costa Coffee
We regret that due to the technical limitations of our site, we are unable to offer eBooks or Audio Downloads to customers outside of the UK.
For further details please read our eBooks help.
Your London - Gower Street Bookshop
82 Gower Street, London, WC1E 6EQView on Map
- Monday 08.30 - 20.00
- Tuesday 08.30 - 20.00
- Wednesday 08.30 - 20.00
- Thursday 08.30 - 20.00
- Friday 08.30 - 20.00
- Saturday 09.30 - 19.00
- Sunday 12.00 - 18.00
One of London's most iconic and best-known bookshops, known for its immense academic range alongside a wealth of new and used books on every imaginable subject.
Waterstones Gower Street is Europe's largest academic/specialist range bookshop.
Located in the heart of Bloomsbury, our Grade II listed building, described by Pevsner as "a wild block very elaborately detailed in a restless, flamboyant, Franco-Flemish Gothic style" was designed by Charles Fitzroy Doll in 1908. Originally a row of small shops with houses above, it’s had a colourful mix of tenants over the years, including a harness-maker, wallpaper merchant and a game and poultry dealer.
The first bookshop on the site was the original Dillon's, opened by Una Dillon herself in a small area of the ground floor in 1956. We now occupy the entire five floor building, with over five miles of shelving and around 130,000 titles.
We have three floors of general interest books and two specialist academic floors. All departments stock a combination of new and second-hand/out-of-print titles (look for the little orange dots on the spines). Perusing our shelves allows you to choose from the latest bestsellers, rare 1st editions and vintage 20th century paperbacks and more...
In the Basement, you’ll find our Rare and Antiquarian department: containing our most recent rare acquisitions and collections of antique books. Concealed in our Travel department is “the room less travelled” with its popular “pin where you’ve been” map. Our ground floor is dedicated to Fiction of every genre with a team of booksellers happy to recommend and guide your purchases. We have an extensive array of Children’s books on our 1st floor, sitting alongside our world class Education department stocking a comprehensive range of books for teachers, parents and pupils alike. Our Medical department sits on the 2nd floor and aims to stock everything for medical professionals and students (including stethoscopes, scrubs and skulls).
Newspapers, magazines, DVDs, Costa coffee, free Wi-Fi, a Ryman’s concession and lots of armchairs and sofas make us the perfect place to spend a lazy Sunday or a gap between lectures.
Unfortunately you can no longer ride a steam locomotive up and down Gower Street as Richard Trevithick did in 1802, or worship at the 'Temple of the Occult' at No.99 as was the case early in the nineteenth century, but you can still visit one of the world’s most striking bookshops at No. 82.
- Fiction (including 2nd Hand & 1st editions), Remainders, Classics, Sci-Fi & Fantasy, Graphic Novels, Crime, Poetry, Drama, Humour, Indoor Games, Essays, Newspapers & Magazines
- DVD, Cards & Stationery, Children's, Education (including GCSE & A-Level textbooks), Cookery, Gardening, Natural History, Health & Wellbeing, MBS & Self-Help, Pregnancy & Childcare, Interiors, Fashion & Design, Photography (inc practical photography), Art
- Medical (inc stethoscopes, skulls & scrubs), Computing, Chemistry, Physics & Biology, Mathematics, Popular Science & Scientific Biography, Geology, Geography & Urban Planning, Economics, Business, Finance & Accounting, Law, Careers
- Foreign Languages, EFL, Foreign Literature, English Language & Reference, Linguistics, Literary Criticism, Religion, Greek & Roman Classics, Psychology, Sociology & Social Sciences (inc Research), Study Skills, Philosophy
- London - Gower Street,
- 82 Gower Street
- WC1E 6EQ