Yacht Were You Thinking?: An A-Z of Boat Names Good and Bad (Hardback)Jonathan Eyers (author)
The perfect gift for any skipper or would-be skipper, and featuring hundreds of common and uncommon names, this entertaining little book will answer perhaps the most important question new owners should ask themselves: what will this name say about me? And as everyone knows, once you’ve named a boat, you never ever change it, so it also answers the question: what is my boat name saying about me?
Names will be categorised and listed alphabetically within these chapters:
- Pun Intended (some reveal a classic wit, others reveal just how many desperate unfunny dullards there are sailing around in yachts called Seas the Day)
- Common as Muck (bad names – Moondancer, Wave Catcher and others that sound like names from a bad children’s novel: where they come from, why they’re bad, and how to avoid inventing another)
- A Bit of Pedigree (good names – but probably too classy for you to get away with copying them)
- Don’t Even Go There (they might be uncommon these days, but sometimes there’s a good reason for that)
- Word Piracy (expressions borrowed from other languages - with varying degrees of wisdom)
- Myths, Legends and Gods (inspired by heroes and deities of cultures now lost to the past)
- The Devil’s Own (don’t tempt fate by calling your boat Invincible, as the Royal Navy did each time the last one sank/exploded – plus other superstition-violating names)
With fascinating history, a fair bit of psychology and a lot of humour, this is the essential guide for all would-be boat owners, and anyone buying a gift for Dad for Father’s Day or Christmas.
Publisher: Bloomsbury Publishing PLC
Number of pages: 144
Weight: 195 g
Dimensions: 180 x 120 mm
BOOK OF THE MONTH: Underpinned by history, psychology and a large dash of humour, his latest book is a witty guide to boat naming. - Coast magazine
Offers an A-Z of boat names both good and bad, common and uncommon, and answers the all-important question of what the name of your vessel says about you. - Welsh Coastal Life
An essential guide including an interesting history, a fair bit of psychology and a lot of humour. - All at Sea
You may also be interested in...
Would you like to proceed to the App store to download the Waterstones App?