Why Do I Need a Teacher When I've got Google?: The essential guide to the big issues for every teacher (Paperback)Ian Gilbert (author)
Why do I need a teacher when I’ve got Google? is just one of the challenging, controversial and thought-provoking questions Ian Gilbert poses in this urgent and invigorating book.
Questioning the unquestionable, this fully updated new edition will make you re-consider everything you thought you knew about teaching and learning, such as:
• Are you simply preparing the next generation of unemployed accountants?
• What do you do for the ‘sweetcorn kids’ who come out of the education system in pretty much the same state as when they went in?
• What’s the real point of school?
• Exams – So whose bright idea was that?
• Why ‘EQ’ is fast becoming the new ‘IQ’.
• What will your school policy be on brain-enhancing technologies?
• Which is the odd one out between a hamster and a caravan?
With his customary combination of hard-hitting truths, practical classroom ideas and irreverent sense of humour, Ian Gilbert takes the reader on a breathless rollercoaster ride through burning issues of the twenty-first century, considering everything from the threats facing the world and the challenge of the BRIC economies to the link between eugenics and the 11+.
As wide-ranging and exhaustively-researched as it is entertaining and accessible, this book is designed to challenge teachers and inform them – as well as encourage them – as they strive to design a twenty-first century learning experience that really does bring the best out of all young people. After all, the future of the world may just depend on it
Publisher: Taylor & Francis Ltd
Number of pages: 248
Weight: 334 g
Dimensions: 216 x 138 mm
“This is a humorous roller coaster of a book, full of big ideas to improve learning and make you a better teacher. Ian Gilbert inspires through insightful, enthusiastic, reflective and well-researched wisdom and experience. Read it to ensure that you are not falling into bad-teacher traps.” - Julie Robinson, general secretary, Independent Schools Council
You may also be interested in...
Would you like to proceed to the App store to download the Waterstones App?