from 2 Hours* Last Christmas
delivery dates Free UK Standard Delivery On all orders over £25 Order in time for Christmas 18th December by 1pm 2nd Class |
20th December by 1pm 1st Class Free Click & Collect From 2 hours after you order*
What We Need to Do Now: For a Zero Carbon Future (Paperback)Chris Goodall (author)
Embracing Britain’s promise to become carbon neutral by 2050, Chris Goodall makes a pivotal practical plan for achieving widespread change in this engaging and inspiring volume.
Shortlisted for the Wainwright Prize for Writing on Global Conservation 2020
The UK has declared a 'climate emergency' and pledged to become carbon neutral by 2050. So how do we get there?
Drawing on actions, policies and technologies already emerging around the world, Chris Goodall sets out the ways to achieve this. His proposals include:
- Building a huge over-capacity of wind and solar energy, storing the excess as hydrogen
- Using hydrogen to fuel our trains, shipping, boilers and heavy industry, while electrifying buses, trucks and cars
- Farming - and eating - differently, encouraging plant-based alternatives to meat
- paying farmers to plant and maintain woodlands
- Making fashion sustainable and aviation pay its way, funding synthetic fuels and genuine offsets
- Using technical solutions to capture CO2 from the air, and biochar to lock carbon in the soil.
What We Need To Do Now is an urgent, practical and inspiring book that signals a green new deal for Britain.
Publisher: Profile Books Ltd
Number of pages: 224
Weight: 187 g
Dimensions: 196 x 128 x 20 mm
'This is exactly the kind of mapping out that we need to make the zero carbon world happen. Chris Goodall's plan is well argued and delightfully readable.' - Mike Berners-Lee, author of There is no Planet B and How Bad Are Bananas?
'Chris Goodall is the kind of person we need to lead us to safety faced with climate change. I learned so much reading this book. It's crisp, superbly researched - and remarkably calm. We can do this.' - Tim Harford, author of 50 Things That Made The Modern Economy and presenter of More or Less
Praise for Ten Technologies:
'Brilliantly concise and clear-eyed.' - New Scientist
Praise for How to Live a Low-Carbon Life:
'Valuable ammunition for those who want to do something about global warming ... Goodall is a pioneer.' - Guardian
'A highly readable book ... for anyone interested in the future of energy.' - Financial Times
You may also be interested in...
Would you like to proceed to the App store to download the Waterstones App?