The Routledge Introductory Course in Biblical Hebrew (Paperback)Lily Kahn (author)
The Routledge Introductory Course in Biblical Hebrew provides a comprehensive introduction to Biblical Hebrew language and texts. Combining a fresh and innovative approach with an in-depth treatment of the language, it presents the essentials of biblical grammar and vocabulary in an engaging and systematic way. Unlike other Biblical Hebrew courses, it is structured around a series of vibrant and memorable stories, with each story reinforced by grammar explanations, supportive exercises, and a concluding genuine biblical text. This coherent focus encourages students to engage with the text actively and facilitate their mastery of the language to the full.
- Forty units covering all the topics expected in a first-year Biblical Hebrew course, including the Hebrew writing system, pointing rules, nouns and adjectives, parsing, mastery of strong and weak verb paradigms and full attention to syntax
- Clear and detailed grammar explanations supported by plentiful examples
- An extensive assortment of varied and stimulating exercises designed to reinforce new grammar and develop students’ ability to use Biblical Hebrew actively
- Incorporation of a wide range of genuine biblical texts to familiarise students with the main biblical narrative cycles and to equip them with the ability to read authentic material from the earliest stages of learning
- A free companion website (www.routledge.com/cw/kahn) offering a wealth of additional instructor and student resources, including many extra exercises and biblical texts, flashcards to test knowledge, a vocabulary guide listing words by part of speech, a full answer key, translations of all the stories and biblical texts, a sample syllabus, coursework assignments covering the entire contents of the course and audio recordings of the stories and biblical texts
- Coherent chapter organisation to consolidate and reinforce learning consistently at each step of the course
- Grammar summary, two-way glossary and subject index presented at the back of the book for easy access
- A user-friendly text design with original illustrations and clear presentation of the Hebrew script
Written by an experienced instructor and extensively trialled at UCL, The Routledge Introductory Course in Biblical Hebrew will be an essential resource for all students beginning to learn Biblical Hebrew.
Publisher: Taylor & Francis Ltd
Number of pages: 464
Weight: 884 g
Dimensions: 246 x 189 mm
"This is a comprehensive and very well organized textbook, with clear, detailed explanations. It is also one of the most creative and original I have seen, and will be an excellent resource for learning biblical Hebrew." Aaron D. Rubin, Pennsylvania State University, USA
"For a long time, we have needed this new textbook for Biblical Hebrew. Lily Kahn's Introductory Course maintains the highest standards and incorporates the latest linguistic advances, and yet does not overwhelm or intimidate the student. This course has clearly been written by someone who is both an excellent linguist and an outstanding classroom teacher." Siam Bhayro, University of Exeter, UK
"Finally! Here is a Biblical Hebrew textbook that is comprehensive and academically rigorous but also highly accessible. Descriptions of grammatical features are both concise and conversational and follow a well-thought-out order. A succinct reference grammar distills information covered in the more discursive units. There is a nice mix of interesting exercises and immersion in biblical texts, with a firm emphasis on getting students to DO Hebrew. This is a text that will make Biblical Hebrew not just less daunting but fun."- Johanna Stiebert, University of Leeds, UK.
You may also be interested in...
Would you like to proceed to the App store to download the Waterstones App?