This handsome two-part set is the first fully illustrated study of one of the most substantial collections of medieval stained glass in England. The glass from the east end of Wells Cathedral (rebuilt by a thriving clerical community between 1320 and 1340) includes the five brilliantly coloured windows of the choir clerestory, with its seven-light Jesse east window, and glass from the famous polygonal Lady Chapel. There are also remains from the Chapter House, Library, Vicars' Close and the houses of the cathedral Chapter members. Besides describing and illustrating each panel, the volume has introductions to each part of the building or cathedral complex. These sections reconstruct what is known of the original glazing and its history, set it within the history of the buildings, their uses and issues of patronage, and reveal many new discoveries. An introduction places the findings within the wider context of recent international stained glass studies and late medieval art history.
Publisher: Oxford University Press