The English Novel in History 1700-1780 (Paperback)John Richetti (author)
- We can order this
* scandalous and amatory fictions
* criminal narratives of the early part of the century
* the more disciplined, realistic, and didactic strain that appears in the 1740's and 1750's
* novels promoting new ideas about the nature of domestic life
* novels by women and how they relate to the shift of subject matter
This original and useful book revises traditional literary history by considering novels from those years in the context of the transformation of Britain in the eighteenth century.
Publisher: Taylor & Francis Ltd
Number of pages: 300
Weight: 408 g
Dimensions: 216 x 140 x 17 mm
-"Choice, September 1999
"This is a good book on an important topic. John Richetti is a sensitive reader of eighteenth-century texts, and each of the chapters has something valuable to offer.."
-George Hagerty," CLIO, February, 2000
You may also be interested in...
Would you like to proceed to the App store to download the Waterstones App?