Teaching to Learn, Learning to Teach: A Handbook for Secondary School Teachers (Paperback)Alan J. Singer (author)
- We can order this from the publisher
Teaching to Learn, Learning to Teach uniquely addresses three problems that frequently concern pre-service and beginning teachers: classroom control, satisfying state and federal mandates, and figuring out exactly what is the role of the teacher. Integrating practical, theoretical, and critical teaching considerations, it presents a model student-centered approach for designing lessons, developing personal connections with students, and building classroom communities: PRO/CLASS Practices (Planning, Relationships, Organization, Community, Leadership, Assessment, Support, Struggle). Pre-service teachers are encouraged to reinterpret the principles and continually redefine them as they develop their own reflective practice.
Changes in the Second Edition
* Updates throughout with attention to the Common Core State Standards, high stakes testing, the possibilities and limitations of technology use in the classroom, and preparing for the job market\
* Fully revised chapter on literacy
* New interviews with teachers
* Companion Website: Supplemental planning, teaching, and assessment materials; 32 extended essays including a number of the author's widely read Huffington Post columns; interviews with beginning and veteran teachers; Ideas for Your Professional Portfolio, Resume, and Cover Letter; Recommended Websites for Teachers
Publisher: Taylor & Francis Ltd
Number of pages: 264
Weight: 454 g
Dimensions: 254 x 178 x 28 mm
Edition: 2nd New edition
"... forces readers to confront their own attitudes and prejudices and leads them to a truer understanding of what it means to teach and learn in today's society."
Dennis Banks, State University of New York-Oneonta, USA
"This book is a must for every teacher.... It provides a framework for forcing readers to ask questions that promote self-reflection about their choices for becoming a teacher, how their experiences have created individual mental models of what teaching is about, and how they can become a member of the learning community."
Felica Hirata, Baruch University, USA
You may also be interested in...
Would you like to proceed to the App store to download the Waterstones App?
Alternatively, for multiple items you may find it easier to add to basket, then pay online and collect in as little as 2 hours, subject to availability.