St Pancras Churchyard underwent several extensions in the post-medieval period, culminating in the creation of the 'New Burying Ground' in 1792, with the last burial taking place in 1854. This volume concentrates on the study of the southernmost 'Third Ground', where 1,383 burials were recorded archaeologically. Analysis included reconstruction of coffin stack sequences within known burial rows, innovatively presented in a series of three-dimensional illustrations. A sample of 715 burials underwent full osteological analysis, revealing a heterogeneous population buried during a time of rapid urbanisation and industrialisation. Preservation of human bone, wooden coffins and their metal fittings was exceptional, with inscribed coffin plates linking many burials with biographical detail. Identified individuals include refugees from the French Revolution, most notably three aristocrats and two prelates.
Publisher: Gifford, Part of Ramboll