The perfect book for any student taking a research methods course for the first time!
The new edition of David and Sutton's text provides those new to social research with a comprehensive introduction to the theory, logic and practical methods of qualitative, quantitative and mixed methods research. Covering all aspects of research design, data collection, data analysis and writing up, Social Research: An Introduction is the essential companion for all undergraduate and postgraduate students embarking on a methods course or social research project.
The second edition features:
- Brand new chapters on visual methods, case study methods, internet research, mixed methods and grounded theory
- Updated chapters on interviews, questionnaire design, surveys, and focus groups
- Improved coverage of qualitative and quantitative methods of data analysis, including practical instruction on the latest versions of software packages NiVivo 8 and SPSS 18
- An attractive new layout which aids navigability and enhances the book's student learning features
- A companion website (www.uk.sagepub.com/david) with PowerPoint slides and links to useful websites
- Many more practical examples helping bring theory to life!
Designed for social science students with no previous experience, this book provides a balanced foundation in the principles and practices of social research.
Publisher: SAGE Publications Ltd
Number of pages: 680
Weight: 1170 g
Dimensions: 232 x 186 x 38 mm
Edition: 2nd Revised edition
University of Illinois
'The second edition of Social Research: An Introduction firmly establishes this book as a standard amongst introductory methods books. It is comprehensive and covers the whole range of frequently used methods. It is clearly built on solid pedagogic and conceptual foundations. David and Sutton write from the position of experienced, theoretically informed researchers with a genuine commitment to pluralism in research methods. It is clearly written, yet sophisticated and is a valuable resource for both students and professionals new to social research and more experienced researchers who wish to expand their methodological repertoire' -
Malcolm Williams, Director of the School of Social Sciences,
University of Cardiff
Praise for the first edition:
'... a valuable addition to the social research literature because it provides practical and detailed support to undergraduates who are conducting research for the first time' - Professor Tim May, University of Salford
'... balanced, user-friendly and timely' - Norman Denzin, University of Illinois
You may also be interested in...
Would you like to proceed to the App store to download the Waterstones App?
Alternatively, for multiple items you may find it easier to add to basket, then pay online and collect in as little as 2 hours, subject to availability.