The Rolls-Royce Merlin aero engine still has the power to turn heads and raise hairs on the backs of necks, for this was the heart that gave life to the famous names of Hurricane, Spitfire, Lancaster, Mosquito and Mustang. This is the inside story of the mighty Merlin, from its genesis in the 740hp PV-12 engine that was first flown in 1935, through its rapid development during the war years until in its ultimate version, the Merlin 130 series designed for the de Havilland Hornet, it produced over 2,600hp.
* Innovative extension of the Haynes aircraft manuals concept into iconic aero engines.
* The Rolls-Royce Merlin engine is probably the most famous liquid-cooled aero engine of all time.
* The Merlin engine powered the RAF's wartime Spitfire, Hurricane and Lancaster.
* Fully illustrated with more than 250 photos and illustrations.
* Official publication with the Rolls-Royce Heritage Trust.
Publisher: Haynes Publishing Group ISBN: 9780857337580 Number of pages: 160 Weight: 738 g Dimensions: 280 x 218 x 18 mm
Simply reserve online and pay at the counter when you collect.
Available in shop from just two hours, subject to availability.
Thank you for your reservation
Your order is now being processed and we have sent a confirmation email to you at
This item can be requested from the shops shown below. If this item isn't available to be reserved nearby, add the item to your basket instead and select 'Deliver to my local shop' at the checkout, to be able to collect it from there at a later date.
When will my order be ready to collect?
Following the initial email, you will be contacted by the shop to confirm that your item is available for collection.
Call us on or send us an email at
Unfortunately there has been a problem with your order
Please try again or alternatively you can contact your chosen shop on or send us an email at