Queer: A Collection of LGBTQ Writing from Ancient Times to Yesterday (Hardback)
  • Queer: A Collection of LGBTQ Writing from Ancient Times to Yesterday (Hardback)
zoom

Queer: A Collection of LGBTQ Writing from Ancient Times to Yesterday (Hardback)

(editor)
1 Review Sign in to write a review
£25.00
Hardback 624 Pages
Published: 21/01/2021
  • In stock
  • Free UK delivery

Usually dispatched within 48 hours

  • This item has been added to your basket
Waterstones Says

Wynne’s monumental endeavour is the definitive anthology of queer writing from ancient times to the present day, and features diverse and wide-ranging pieces from Paul Verlaine, Sappho, Alison Bechdel and many more.

LGBTQ writing from ancient times to yesterday selected by award-winning translator Frank Wynne.

Drawing together writing from Catullus to Sappho, from Arthur Rimbaud to Anne Lister and Armistead Maupin, translator Frank Wynne has collected eighty of the finest works representing queer love by LGBTQ authors.

These pieces straddle the spectrum of queer experience, from Verlaine's sonnet in praise of his lover's anus and Emily Dickinson's exhortation of a woman's beauty, to Alison Bechdel's graphic novel of her coming out, Juno Dawson's reflections on gender and Oscar Wilde's 'De Profundis'.

With stories, poems, extracts and scenes from countries the world over, Queer is an unabashed and unapologetic anthology, which gives voice to those often silenced.

Publisher: Head of Zeus
ISBN: 9781789542349
Number of pages: 624
Dimensions: 240 x 170 mm


MEDIA REVIEWS
A landmark anthology of queer writing... It brings together an unusually broad range of voices from across the ages and the globe to form a survey of queer literature' * BBC Front Row *
'A groundbreaking collection' * DIVA *
'A landmark collection of LGBTQ writing from ancient times to yesterday, featuring powerful voices in many literary forms, from Homer and Sappho to Andrew McMillan and Niviaq Korneliussen. Many of the writers included were new to me, not least because the book manages to avoid the lazy, Anglocentric default that usually bedevils collections of this type. The resulting volume is more surprising, more various and richer for it' * Spectator *
'A spectacular anthology' * Review 31 *

You may also be interested in...

A Little Gay History of Wales
Added to basket
Gay Berlin
Added to basket
£14.99
Paperback
In the Closet of the Vatican
Added to basket
Queer Intentions
Added to basket
£9.99
Paperback
Young Bloomsbury
Added to basket
£10.99
Paperback
Dekoboko Bittersweet Days
Added to basket
All The Things She Said
Added to basket
The Times I Knew I Was Gay
Added to basket
The New Life
Added to basket
£16.99   £14.99
Hardback
Time is a Mother
Added to basket
£14.99
Hardback
Queer Spaces
Added to basket
Queer
Added to basket
£20.00
Paperback
Great LGBTQ+ Speeches
Added to basket
£12.99
Hardback
Out of the Shadows
Added to basket
£10.99
Paperback
A Short History of Queer Women
Added to basket
The Velvet Rage
Added to basket
£12.99
Paperback

“Okay”

This was an interesting collection overall but there was an imbalance in the time periods the writing came from as less than 20% came from pre 1900s and the other 80% came from after. It would have been nice if the... More

Hardback edition
Helpful? Upvote 10

Please sign in to write a review

Your review has been submitted successfully.