If you are studying forensic science, or a related course such as forensic chemistry or biology, then this book will be an indispensable companion throughout your entire degree programme. This 'one-stop' text will guide you through the wide range of practical, analytical and data handling skills that you will need during your studies. It will also give you a solid grounding in the wider transferable skills such as teamwork and study skills.
This third edition of Practical Skills in Forensic Science builds upon the excellent foundation of its predecessors and provides an easy-to-read guide to help you develop the skills you need to succeed. It retains the key features of earlier editions, with a layout that explains the essential elements of practical techniques and procedures in a step-by-step manner to help you understand their application in the context of forensic science.
* Coverage of a wide range of practical aspects from fingerprint recovery, trace evidence examination, bodily fluid examination and DNA analysis, as well as broader skills such as tackling numerical problems and passing exams.
* Case examples, guidelines for documentation and reporting results, plus advice on the legal aspects of forensic science provide you with an understanding of the professional role of a forensic scientist.
* New material on personal development planning, learning styles, e-learning and avoiding plagiarism.
* Updated sections on software for graphical and statistical analysis.
* Worked examples and 'How To' boxes provide practical guidance and support.
* Key points highlight critical features of methodology.
* Use of margin tips, definitions and illustrations throughout.
* Additional sources of further study identified for every chapter.
* Safety notes highlight specific hazards and appropriate practical steps to minimise risk.
* Study exercises (and answers) in each chapter help to reinforce learning.
ALAN LANGFORD is Senior Lecturer and Programme Leader in Criminology and Forensic Sciences at Northumbria University, UK; JOHN DEAN is Professor of Analytical and Environmental Sciences and Director of the Graduate School at Northumbria University, UK; ROB REED is Professor of Biomedical Science and Director of Undergraduate Science Programs at CQUniversity, Australia; DAVID HOLMES is Director of Collaborative Programs in Applied Sciences at Northumbria University, UK; JONATHAN WEYERS is Director of Quality Assurance at the University of Dundee, UK; and ALLAN JONES is Senior Lecturer and Chancellor's Award Fellow in Ecology, Environmental Science and Zoology at the University of Dundee, UK.
Publisher: Pearson Education Limited
Number of pages: 672
Weight: 1664 g
Dimensions: 275 x 220 x 30 mm
Edition: 3rd edition