The British-Georgian Pichvnari Expedition has been active since 1998, excavating cemeteries and settlement of the Greco-Colchian emporion at Pichvnari. The site lies on the Black Sea coast of Georgia, at the confluence of the Choloki and Ochkhamuri rivers some 10km to the north of the town of Kobuleti in the Adjarian Autonomous Republic. This volume deals with some of the work done at Pichvnari between 1960 and 1989. Although small-scale fieldwork was carried out in 1953 and 1956, it was only in 1960 that large-scale excavation began, conducted by the N. Berdzenishvili Batumi Research Institute of the Georgian Academy of Sciences. Perhaps the most significant contribution was the investigation of the Greek cemetery, which, if it is indeed truly Geek, as we believe it to be, constitutes the largest ethnic Greek necropolis in the eastern Black Sea region. This volume places the whole of this important material before the scientific world. Papers in English and Georgian.
Publisher: Ashmolean Museum