Perioperative Addiction addresses an issue that every anesthesiologist will encounter many times during the course of his or her career: the patient who arrives for operative care under the influence of legal or illegal drugs. The editors and contributors provide expert guidance on how to identify and manage the addicted patient, approaching the subject from the vantage points of the specific drug and of special patient populations.
* Guidance for spotting and managing addicted patients
* All common and important drugs of addiction, from opioids, cocaine, club drugs, and alcohol, to tobacco, marijuana, nitrous oxide, inhalants, and propofol
* Special populations, including pregnant women, pain patients, adolescents, older patients, and healthcare professionals
* Fascinating overview of the long history of addiction
* Genetic basis of addiction, and the range of pharmacological treatments for addiction
Publisher: Springer-Verlag New York Inc.
Number of pages: 290
Weight: 619 g
Dimensions: 235 x 155 x 25 mm
From the reviews:
"This is really a combination of two books, one about the perioperative management of patients with addiction, and one about substance abuse among physicians, particularly anesthesia providers. ... The chapter on the history of addiction in medical personnel is fantastic and richly illustrated. ... This is a unique contribution to the literature. It will be of value to anyone with an interest in the topic, including program directors and specialists in addiction medicine." (Michael F. O'Connor, Doody's Book Reviews, June, 2012)
"Overall, this is a praiseworthy textbook that provides a thorough overview of perioperative addiction. The diverse information provided can serve as an authoritative reference on this subject. In addition, the organization of information into preoperative, intraoperative, and postoperative phases can function as a valuable bedside guide on how best to care for this challenging patient population." (Geoff Alexander Bellingham, Canadian Journal of Anesthesia, Vol. 59, 2012)
You may also be interested in...
Please sign in to write a review