Medical Microbiology (Paperback)Myra Wilkinson (author)
- We can order this
Medical Microbiology is aimed specifically at the following people working in the field of biomedical sciences:
* undergraduate students looking for a concise textbook covering the basic principles
* all those undergoing laboratory training
* qualified staff looking to keep up-to-date
Uniquely, the book is structured to follow the flow of specimens through a typical clinical microbiology laboratory, and so provides a practical guide to a working medical microbiology unit.
The book begins by covering:
* classification and nomenclature of microorganisms and viruses associated with human disease, including an indication of which are common and which are not
* pathology of disease and host defences
* basic microscopy, general aseptic and culture techniques, and identification methods including all the latest molecular techniques.
It goes on to describe:
* the organization of a typical microbiology lab
* the practical isolation of pathogens from the complete range of human specimens, including urine, faeces, blood cultures, wound swabs, ENT samples, etc. - all chapters feature a standard presentation covering specimen collection and transport, principal pathogens, laboratory analysis/diagnosis, and antibiotic susceptibility testing.
The book concludes by considering:
* food and water microbiology
Medical Microbiology concentrates on practical diagnostics using the latest laboratory methods, with health and safety guidance linked to COSHH and standard operating procedures. The book should therefore be read by all those working, or training to work in a medical microbiology lab.
Publisher: Scion Publishing Ltd
Number of pages: 336
Weight: 590 g
Dimensions: 244 x 172 x 19 mm