Master the principles to make applications robust, scalable and responsive
About This Book
* Implement concurrent applications using the Java 9 Concurrency API and its new components
* Improve the performance of your applications and process more data at the same time, taking advantage of all of your resources
* Construct real-world examples related to machine learning, data mining, natural language processing, and more
Who This Book Is For
This book is for competent Java developers who have basic understanding of concurrency, but knowledge of effective implementation of concurrent programs or usage of streams for making processes more efficient is not required
What You Will Learn
* Master the principles that every concurrent application must follow
* See how to parallelize a sequential algorithm to obtain better performance without data inconsistencies and deadlocks
* Get the most from the Java Concurrency API components
* Separate the thread management from the rest of the application with the Executor component
* Execute phased-based tasks in an efficient way with the Phaser components
* Solve problems using a parallelized version of the divide and conquer paradigm with the Fork / Join framework
* Find out how to use parallel Streams and Reactive Streams
* Implement the "map and reduce" and "map and collect" programming models
* Control the concurrent data structures and synchronization mechanisms provided by the Java Concurrency API
* Implement efficient solutions for some actual problems such as data mining, machine learning, and more
Concurrency programming allows several large tasks to be divided into smaller sub-tasks, which are further processed as individual tasks that run in parallel. Java 9 includes a comprehensive API with lots of ready-to-use components for easily implementing powerful concurrency applications, but with high flexibility so you can adapt these components to your needs.
The book starts with a full description of the design principles of concurrent applications and explains how to parallelize a sequential algorithm. You will then be introduced to Threads and Runnables, which are an integral part of Java 9's concurrency API. You will see how to use all the components of the Java concurrency API, from the basics to the most advanced techniques, and will implement them in powerful real-world concurrency applications.
The book ends with a detailed description of the tools and techniques you can use to test a concurrent Java application, along with a brief insight into other concurrency mechanisms in JVM.
Style and approach
This is a complete guide that implements real-world examples of algorithms related to machine learning, data mining, and natural language processing in client/server environments. All the examples are explained using a step-by-step approach.
Publisher: Packt Publishing Limited
Number of pages: 516
Dimensions: 235 x 191 mm
Edition: 2nd Revised edition