Histoire du Canal du MIDI: Connu Precedemment Sous le Nom de Canal de Languedoc - Cambridge Library Collection - Technology (Paperback)Antoine-Francois Andreossy
Paperback Published: 09/03/2014
- Can be ordered from our supplier
Officially opened in 1682, the Canal du Midi, designed and built by the engineers Pierre-Paul Riquet and Francois Andreossy, stretched from Toulouse to the Mediterranean. The present work was written by Andreossy's descendant, Antoine-Francois Andreossy (1761-1828), a French general and diplomat. A member of the Academie des Sciences, he analyses here the terrain of the south of France to show how and why the canal was built. Notably, the work became known for the author's argument that Riquet had usurped the glory that really belonged to his ancestor. Concluding with original documents from the period of the canal's construction, along with an appendix giving details on the canal's route, the book is reissued here in its first edition of 1800. A second edition appeared in 1804, and a third edition was begun but never completed.
Publisher: Cambridge Library Collection