Guide to the Gayer-Anderson Museum Cairo (Paperback)Nicholas Warner
Paperback Published: 15/03/2003
- Can be ordered from our supplier
The Gayer-Anderson Museum is housed in the Bayt al-Kritliya, a sixteenth-century merchant's house that stands adjacent to the ninth-century mosque of Ibn Tulun in one of the oldest quarters of Cairo. In the 1930s, the house served as the home of R.G. Gayer-Anderson Pasha, an English doctor and art collector, who furnished it with his collections and left it to the Egyptian government in 1945. The house and the collection together then became the Gayer-Anderson Museum, which remains open to visitors to this day. This updated guide to the museum is illustrated with black-and-white photographs and includes complete floor plans.
Publisher: Supreme Council of Antiquities