Health promotion, education, and prevention programs ultimately focus on changing health behavior. Essentials of Health Behavior: Social and Behavioral Theory in Public Health, Third Edition provides the groundwork for understanding, assessing, and effectively applying theories of human behavior within the practice of public health.
In clear and accessible language, this text provides the student with a background of the kinds of social and behavioral theories that guide our understanding of health related behavior and form the background for health promotion and prevention efforts. Filled with real life examples and profiles, the text explores some of the ways in which these theories and approaches are used in applied health promotion efforts.
-Introduces students to the relationship between behavior and a selection of major health issues
- Provides an introductory background to the kinds of social and behavioral theories that guide our understanding of health related behavior and form the background for health promotion and prevention efforts
- Explores some of the ways in which these theories and approaches are used in applied health promotion efforts
Since the publication of the second edition, health promotion theory has continued to evolve. The third edition keeps pace with developments such as rapidly evolving social media, increased global population diversity, and emerging epidemics, making the book useful and current.
The Third Edition offers:
- Updates data and examples of application and practice throughout
- Information about several new or additional theories has been added to chapters on individual theory and multi-level theory.
- A new chapter on behavioral epigenetics -- a brand new area of theory that seeks to examine the interaction between social-environmental influences and genetic expression, and the potential impacts on behavior.
- New discussion of Dissemination/Implementation research frameworks
- An expanded discussion of the social norms construct
- Additional material on social network theory.
Publisher: Jones and Bartlett Publishers, Inc
Number of pages: 240
Weight: 595 g
Edition: 3rd Revised edition