With up-to-date, balanced, and authoritative coverage of soil, water, and air chemistry, the new edition again focuses on the environmental impacts of chemical production and experimentation, offering additional "green chemistry" sections and new case studies.
* Expanded coverage of energy production (especially biofuels), the generation and disposal of CO2, and innovative ways to combat climate change.
* Increased international coverage to give all students a better perspective on environmental problems and solutions around the world - for example, there is increased coverage of gaseous and particulate air pollution and CO2 emissions and air quality standards in different countries, both developed and developing ones.
* Updated Green Chemistry cases, including new cases on the development of bio-based toners; recycling carbon dioxide; a non-volatile, reactive coalescent for the reduction of VOCs in latex paints; bio-based liquid fuels and chemicals; and
spinetoram, an improvement on a green pesticide.
* An Activity has been inserted into each chapter - these web- or library-based mini-projects could be assigned to individual students or to a group of them to accomplish and report on.
* More schematic diagrams have been added to promote student comprehension of the more complicated chemistry and appeal to a variety of learning styles.
* Marginal notes - to supplement the main text with additional interesting material, and to indicate which Review Questions are relevant to the material at hand.
Publisher: W.H.Freeman & Co Ltd
Number of pages: 736
Weight: 1438 g
Dimensions: 235 x 155 x 36 mm
Edition: 5th ed. 2012