By examining how young children develop and learn from conception through to the age of eight, this book explores ways to enhance professional practice in the early years.
- Child development (including recent research into cognitive development of babies)
- The child in the socio-cultural context
- International educational approaches
- The developing professional.
- Key learning points identify at a glance what each chapter will cover
- Case studies help you link theory to practice
- Reflective activities help you reflect on how to apply ideas to practice
- Further reading directs you to additional resources to deepen your understanding.
Illustrated with examples of practice from a range of settings, this accessible text is essential reading for all those studying on Early Years, Early Childhood Studies and Early Years Education and Care courses.
Additional online material/support:
For regular updates and thoughts on hot topics and key debates in the field subscribe to Sheila Nutkins author blog here.
Publisher: SAGE Publications Ltd
Number of pages: 352
Weight: 630 g
Dimensions: 232 x 186 x 20 mm
The text promotes knowledge and understanding of education and care for early years specialists, primary teachers and childhood practitioners. It offers a variety of strategies and approaches to enhance professional development. This book is well written, accessible and engages the reader throughout. It is a valuable learning and reference tool which will appeal to a wide audience who seek insight into early years. -- Brenda Dunn and Jill Shimi * Scottish Educational Review *
This book is an invaluable resource for all students in the field of early childhood studies who envisage a career as professionals in the field as it introduces a number of concepts of early childhood education and care that can benefit enormously the professional practitioner in recognising today's issues of their practice and support children and families in a broader socio-cultural context. -- Dr. Ioanna Palaiologou
You may also be interested in...
Would you like to proceed to the App store to download the Waterstones App?
Or, add to basket, pay online, collect in as little as 2 hours, subject to availability.