Collins Mapstart 1 - Collins Primary Atlases (Paperback)Simon Catling (author)
- Publisher out of stock
This structured map skills course uses a simple colourful layout to introduce young pupils to using and drawing maps and plans.
Mapstart 1 is a structured introduction to map work for 6-7 year olds. It assumes no previous experience of map skills and establishes a sound foundation for graphic concepts, skills and vocabulary at a very simple level.
Mapstart 1 has been designed with the following purposes in mind:
* to build children's spatial awareness through the use of familiar objects, toys, the locality of the school and space photos;
* to extend children's understanding and use of vocabulary associated with spatial location, organisation and movement;
* to provide continuity through the book by the use of vertical aerial photos;
* to introduce children to the perspective of plans and maps and to the representational characteristics of maps;
* to encourage children to observe features and relationships in oblique and vertical photos and maps;
* to foster children's appreciation of the Earth as a globe.
A free file of answers to questions in Mapstart 1 is available free to download at
Publisher: HarperCollins Publishers
Number of pages: 32
Weight: 130 g
Dimensions: 280 x 220 x 5 mm
Edition: School edition