Chambers Word Lover's Crossword Dictionary Set (Hardback)Chambers (author)
- We can order this
"Chambers is the one I keep at my right hand"
Special two-in-one set for crossword lovers.
Meticulously researched and expertly written, the highly acclaimed Chambers range has been at the forefront of presenting knowledge and learning in an engaging and accessible way since it was first established in the 19th century. This new two-in-one set comprising of the 12th edition of The Chambers Dictionary and the latest Chambers Crossword Dictionary, is the ideal companion for word lovers and crossword enthusiasts all over the world!
What's in the Chambers Crossword Lover's Dictionary Set?
- The Chambers Dictionary (New 12th Edition)
The dictionary of choice for word lovers
Immerse yourself in the most interesting, authoritative, and helpful English dictionary available--the unrivalled guide for lovers. Whether you're an avid wordgamer or just enjoy revelling in the quirks and curiosities of the English language, The Chambers Dictionary is your ultimate companion. The Chambers Dictionary delves deep into all the glories of the English language, covering weird and wonderful words like spoffish, jobernowl, mullligrubs and humdudgeon, all the while ensuring it covers the latest developments in English.
- The Chambers Crossword Dictionary (New edition)
The ultimate resource for all crossword lovers
It is the essential resource for crosswords of all kinds. Comprehensive, reliable and easy-to-use, this major new edition has been thoroughly revised and updated by a team of crossword experts, and is specially tailored to the needs of crossword solvers. With more than 500,000 solutions to cryptic and quick clues, plus explanations of cryptic clue types and the use of anagram and other indicators, and insights into the world of crossword setting and memorable clues, it is an indispensable companion for all cruciverbalists.
What's special about these editions?
- The Chambers Dictionary (12th edition)
Now in its 12th edition, the dictionary has been updated to include words and expressions that have entered the language in the four years since the last edition was published.
Word Lover's Miscellany
The 12th edition includes a Word Lover's Miscellany with list upon list of words to appeal to the English language addict:
- words to impress and surprise
- words to cherish
- words that are extinct
- words that merit rescue
- words to use in Scrabble® and other word games
- words to watch
- collective nouns
- useful similes
. . . and many more
Beautiful finishing touches
Ribbon: The Chambers Dictionary is the only popular dictionary to still provide one. Why? Simply because people love them.
Beautifully flat on a desk: The Chambers Dictionary lies perfectly flat on a desk so you can read the whole page with ease - even into the spine.
Strong cloth binding, gold blocking, beautiful endpapers: The Chambers Dictionary is made to an incredibly high quality, guaranteed to withstand years of love.
Foiled cover: Foiling on the cover gives The Chambers Dictionary a luxurious aesthetic.
Less cumbersome than other dictionaries: Slimmer and easier to hold, despite the fact that it contains more words than any other single volume dictionary. And all without reducing text size. It's a neat trick.
Thumb index: Only provided by Chambers! A standard version without a thumb index is also available.
- The Chambers Crossword Dictionary (3rd edition)
New solutions, synonyms, and topic lists
This brand new edition, compiled from Chambers' highly acclaimed and vast crossword resources, has been fully updated with thousands of new solutions to be even more useful to crossword fans. New synonyms for publication such as 'podcast' and 'blog' bring the content bang up-to-the-minute. New topic lists such as 'curries' and 'geese' help solve general knowledge clues. All words are grouped by meaning, then by number of characters, then alphabetically, to make finding the solution quick and easy. Special cryptic crossword words which indicate anagrams, reversals, etc give hints and tips for solvers.
The best-selling reference for crossword solvers and setters
- Over 500,000 solutions for every kind of crossword
- More than 2,500 crossword code words to alert you to cryptic ploys
- New synonyms to give you up-to-the-minute answers
- New topic lists to help you solve general knowledge clues
- Over 19,600 'one-stop' entries, with both synonyms and encyclopedic material
- Word lists sorted by length and then alphabetically to make finding solutions easy
- Includes words, phrases, abbreviations, symbols, codes and other cryptic 'building blocks'
- Packed with crossword jargon, anagram and other indicators and essential cryptic vocabulary
- Draws on The Chambers Dictionary, the authoritative Chambers reference range and the vast Chambers crossword clue database
Packed with expert advice from crossword masters
- Derek Arthur (1945-2010), co-editor of The Listener crossword in The Times and of the Chambers Crossword Dictionary, 2nd edition
- Ross Beresford, former co-editor of The Listener crossword
- Jonathan Crowther, better known to cryptic crossword solvers as Azed, having set crosswords for The Observer for almost 40 years
- Don Manley, crossword setter for many quality newspapers under various pseudonyms (Duck, Quixote, Bradman, Giovanni) and Church Times crossword editor
- Tim Moorey, one of the crossword setting team for The Sunday Times, crossword editor of The Week and author of How to Master The Times Crossword
Weight: 3690 g
Dimensions: 275 x 190 x 105 mm
"To look up a word in Chambers is to be able to unpack its meaning and also to marvel at its compactness . . . . Chambers is an open door to words at their wittiest, most rooted, most revealing, and most powerful" * Ali Smith *
"The Chambers Crossword Dictionary certainly is a fine book . . . and a safe Christmas present for any crossword fan." * Amazon reviewer *
"Extensive, easy to use and extremely useful, this crossword dictionary is sure to be in great demand." * The Scotsman *
"Chambers is the kind of dictionary with which people who like to play with words begin to feel an affinity. Its vocabulary is so vast and variegated that crossword fans find it a valuable resource." * livemint.com, The Wall Street Journal *
'The 12th edition of The Chambers Dictionary is the most useful and diverting single-volume work-hoard available. It's somehow good to know that a zizel is a chipmunk' * The Telegraph, Mark Sanderson's Book of the Year *
You may also be interested in...
Please sign in to write a review