An Introduction to the Sociology of Work and Occupations (Paperback)Rudi Volti (author)
- In stock
- Free UK delivery
With new, in-depth chapters on both globalization and technology, The Sociology of Work and Occupations, Second Edition connects work and occupations to the key subjects of sociological inquiry: social and technological change, race, ethnicity, gender, social class, education, social networks, and modes of organization. In 15 chapters, Rudi Volti succinctly but comprehensively covers the changes in the world of work, encompassing everything from hunting and gathering to work in today's Information Age.
New to the Second Edition:
* increased historical coverage with emphasis on current trends
* new figures, tables, and statistical data
* the chapter on globalization and technology has been split into two separate chapters in order to provide expanded coverage of two of the most important forces shaping work and occupations today
* expanded coverage of unionization, the sources of worker satisfaction and dissatisfaction, and the ongoing significance of race, ethnicity, and gender
* covers economic, technological, and social history, showing students how work and occupations have evolved over time
* vividly illustrates how different segments of society have been affected by profound changes in work and its social environment
* each chapter focuses on a core aspect of work and connects it to key sociological themes, topics, and issues
* weaves discussions of globalization and technological change and their relationship to work throughout the text
* end-of-chapter questions promote classroom debate and reflection
Publisher: SAGE Publications Inc
Number of pages: 320
Weight: 540 g
Dimensions: 254 x 177 x 23 mm
Edition: 2nd Revised edition
"The discussion of jobs, human capital, and credentials is practical and engaging!"
-- Deborah Barnes-Drummond
"The book's strengths are the depth of historical analysis punctuated by statistics and relevant references, its nice, easy-to-read flow, and its subtle sense of humor. Volti's book covers all the important aspects of work."
-- Elena Gabor
"I really appreciate the fact that Volti's text is well-written and very accessible to undergraduate students."
-- Judi Kessler
"In 15 chapters, Rudi Volti, succinctly but comprehensively covers the changes in the world of work, encompassing everything from gathering and hunting to working in today's Information Age." -- SirReadaLot.org * SirReadaLot.org *
You may also be interested in...
Would you like to proceed to the App store to download the Waterstones App?
Or, add to basket, pay online, collect in as little as 2 hours, subject to availability.