Advanced Fitness Assessment and Exercise Prescription, Eighth Edition With Online Video, provides a comprehensive approach to physical fitness appraisal and customized exercise prescription. The text synthesizes research and practice with concepts and theories from exercise physiology, kinesiology, measurement, psychology, and nutrition to clearly convey how assessments from physical fitness testing inform the design of individualized exercise programs.
The eighth edition of Advanced Fitness Assessment and Exercise Prescription reflects the latest exercise testing and prescription guidelines from the American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM) as well as physical activity recommendations from the U.S. government and American Heart Association. It also takes into account recent ACSM guidelines for medical exam and exercise testing requirements to consider before beginning exercise programs. Additional updates to the eighth edition include the following:
- Significant expansion of the online video clips, which now demonstrate nearly 75 fitness tests, including functional movement assessment and push-up and pull-up testing
- New protocols and assessments for each of the five fitness components, from self-paced treadmill protocols for cardiorespiratory fitness to the Balance Error Scoring System (BESS) for assessment of balance
- Updated blood pressure standards for hypertension
- Expanded information on the use of technology to monitor physical activity, including wearable activity trackers and mobile apps
- Updated information on the use of workspace design to promote physical activity and exercise
- Extensive updates to the supporting research for the assessment and testing protocols
Advanced Fitness Assessment and Exercise Prescription, Eighth Edition, is structured around five physical fitness components: cardiorespiratory endurance, muscular fitness (strength, endurance, and power), body composition, flexibility, and balance. The text begins with an overview of physical activity, health, and chronic disease, including a discussion of preliminary health screening and risk classification. It then leads into field and laboratory assessment and testing protocols, followed by prescription guidelines for designing exercise programs to improve each fitness component. Readers will find the latest information on maximal and submaximal graded exercise testing in healthy populations, as well as muscular fitness testing protocols and norms for children and adults.
Each chapter begins with key questions to help readers focus on essential information. Sidebars lend practical insight to the content. Key points, review questions, and key terms reinforce concepts and summarize chapter content for better retention. An instructor guide, test package, chapter quizzes, and presentation package plus image bank provide tools for instructors to use for lecture preparation, creative content delivery, and class assessment. The online video clips, newly revised for the eighth edition, further aid student comprehension of the material and provide instructors an additional tool for classroom demonstration.
Advanced Fitness Assessment and Exercise Prescription, Eighth Edition, truly bridges the gap between research and practice. Its unique scope, depth of coverage, andd clearly outlined approach make it an invaluable resource for students and exercise science professionals who want to increase their knowledge, skill, and competence in assessing clients' fitness and designing individualized exercise programs.
Publisher: Human Kinetics Publishers
Number of pages: 560
Weight: 1588 g
Edition: Eighth Edition