Visit our Christmas Gift Finder
A History of the County of Stafford: Volume XIV: Lichfield - Victoria County History (Hardback)
  • A History of the County of Stafford: Volume XIV: Lichfield - Victoria County History (Hardback)
zoom

A History of the County of Stafford: Volume XIV: Lichfield - Victoria County History (Hardback)

(editor)
£75.00
Hardback 367 Pages / Published: 01/01/1990
  • We can order this

Usually dispatched within 3 weeks

  • This item has been added to your basket
The volume tells the story of Lichfield and its neighbourhood from Romano-British times to the late 20th century. Lichfield was first mentioned in the mid 7th century and was chosen as a see in 669A.D. with St. Chad as its first bishop. A cathedral has stood there ever since, much rebuilt and restored over the centuries and noted for its three spires, 'the ladies of the vale'. Until the Reforma-tion St. Chad's shrine attracted a stream of pil-grims. The cathedral and its medieval fortified close were garrisoned by both sides during the Civil War and suffered great damage and losses. There are two other early churches, St. Chad's which is associated with the saint's dwelling place, and St. Michael's on the hilltop site where there may once have been a pagan sanctuary. The city itself originated as a new town planted by the bishop in the mid 12th century. In the mid 16th century it was granted city and county status by the Crown. A church dedicated to St. Mary was built in the market place, and other medieval institutions included a Franciscan friary, an almshouse for men and another for women which both survive, and an important religious and social guild. On the eve of the guild's suppression at the Reformation much of its landed property was conveyed in trust for the maintenance of the city's medieval water supply and for other needs. As a result Lichfield has for centuries enjoyed private-enterprise public services, and the Conduit Lands Trust is still active. In the 18th century Lichfield was a centre for polite society with its races attracting many visitors. In the 19th century there was industrial development, notably in the brewing industry. The later 20th century has seen the growth of light industry and also extensive residential development, with a nearly threefold increase in the city's population. Tourism too has been encouraged and is associated particularly with Samuel Johnson, born in the city in 1709. The volume also covers seven former townships lying outside the city but once part of the Lich-field parishes of St. Michael and St. Chad. They include Wall with its Romano-British remains, Fisherwick which once possessed a mansion and park by Capability Brown, and the urban parish of Burntwood containing the former mining village of Chasetown and Chase Terrace; the others are Curborough and Elmhurst, Freeford, Hammer-wich, and Streethay with Fulfen.

Publisher: Oxford University Press
ISBN: 9780197227787
Number of pages: 367
Weight: 1673 g
Dimensions: 305 x 208 x 36 mm

You may also be interested in...

The Kings and Queens of England
Added to basket
Please, Mister Postman
Added to basket
£8.99   £6.99
Paperback
The Churchill Factor
Added to basket
£10.99   £7.99
Paperback
Story of Ireland
Added to basket
£9.99
Paperback
The Secret Rooms
Added to basket
A Great and Terrible King
Added to basket
The Making Of The British Landscape
Added to basket
World War One
Added to basket
£8.99
Paperback
Making Sense of the Troubles
Added to basket
Churchill's Secret Warriors
Added to basket
£8.99   £6.99
Paperback
First Light
Added to basket
£9.99
Paperback
Civil War
Added to basket
£10.99
Paperback
The Battle of Britain
Added to basket
The English and their History
Added to basket

Please sign in to write a review

Your review has been submitted successfully.