A major update and revision of the essential program for reading problems at any level, incorporating the latest breakthroughs in science, educational methods, technology and legal accommodations.
'Sally Shaywitz is an amazing woman... no one has a better understanding of dyslexia' - Bob Dylan
Dyslexia is the most common learning disorder in the world, affecting one in five individuals. Now Drs Sally and Jonathan Shaywitz give us a substantially updated and augmented edition of her classic work, Overcoming Dyslexia, drawing on an additional fifteen years of ground-breaking scientific research to offer new information on both the big picture and the specific details of dyslexia and reading problems, and providing the tools that parents, teachers and dyslexic individuals of any age need.
This updated edition offers:
* New chapters on the latest science-based diagnosis of dyslexia, identifying the at-risk child, dyslexia in post-menopausal women, and implications of associated anxiety and ADHD in dyslexia
* State-of-the-art information on universal screening for dyslexia as early as the first year of school - why and how to efficiently and effectively screen young children
* An expanded chapter on choosing the best school for a dyslexic child and new chapters examining exciting innovative school models
* New chapters focused on higher education, including preparing a dyslexic for university, choosing a university or higher education course for a dyslexic student and making the university experience work
* The latest advances in digital technology that increase a dyslexic's ability to help him or herself
* Extensively updated material on helping dyslexic individuals of all ages become better readers, with detailed home programs to enhance reading at different ages and levels
* How to use compassion and exciting new knowledge to build and strengthen a child's self-esteem and resilience
* Insightful stories of outstanding men, women and young adults who are dyslexic and thriving and how they succeeded.
Acclaimed by experts and parents alike, Overcoming Dyslexia provides anyone who is struggling with reading problems with the necessary reassurance that, through hard work and the right help, such difficulties can be overcome.
Publisher: John Murray Press
Number of pages: 608
Weight: 720 g
Dimensions: 234 x 156 x 50 mm
An important book... For the first time, scientists are understanding how the brain works... in the act of reading. Front and centre now is Sally Shaywitz. * The Baltimore Sun *
In this gem of a book, Dr Sally Shaywitz uses her voice, her images, her brain... to shine a piercing and clarifying light on what we so inadequately call 'dyslexia'. What is more, she shows how almost everyone can overcome it. * Daniel D. Federman, MD, former Dean for Medical Education at Harvard Medical School *
Shaywitz's groundbreaking work builds an important bridge from the laboratory to the home and classroom * Publishers Weekly *
Drawing on scientific research and her own case histories, Shaywitz explains what causes dyslexia, how to identify it, and how to help children and adults overcome it. In highly accessible language, Shaywitz explains recent technology and research that pinpoint areas of the brain that control the ability to read ... [A] tremendously helpful resource. * Booklink *
No one has a better understanding of dyslexia and how it affects young children. Her work in this field is unmatched. Sally's tireless advocacy for those who have this learning disability has to be an inspiration... Her constant fight to change public policy as it relates to the way dyslexia functions and is understood in schools should be deeply meaningful to anyone who cares about children in today's world. * Bob Dylan *
You may also be interested in...
Would you like to proceed to the App store to download the Waterstones App?
Alternatively, for multiple items you may find it easier to add to basket, then pay online and collect in as little as 2 hours, subject to availability.