100 Facts - Shipwrecks (Paperback)Fiona MacDonald (author)
- Not available
100 Facts Shipwrecks is bursting with exactly 100 awesome facts, mind-blowing images and fun activities to help children learn everything they need to know about the incredible secrets of sunken ships.
100 Facts Shipwrecks contains key topics about the remains of ships beneath the waves in concise numbered facts. Information is accompanied by amazing illustrations and photographs that put unbelievable facts into context for young learners.
Essential topics covered in 100 Facts Shipwrecks:
- How ships float and the causes of sinking
- Historical shipwrecks and the most famous of all time - Titanic
- Robots, submersibles and diving discoveries
Examples of 'I don't believe it' fascinating facts:
- Some divers have suggested using sea lions to help explore wrecks. Sea lions are intelligent, and can swim and dive in spaces too small or dangerous for humans to explore.
- Voyager submersible has sensor 'eyes' that produce three-dimensional images of the underwater world. Investigators wear special goggles to view the images.
- In just four years, from 1979 to 1983, archaeologists made almost 25,000 dives to the seabed to recover the shipwrecked Mary Rose and its contents.
Activities to make learning accessible and interactive include:
- Write a poem or song about a voyage on a Viking warship you have named. Will you return to safety or will you become shipwrecked? Get some ideas from the book!
- Quiz question: What makes divers sink below the waves?
- Make predictions about what objects (such as a pebble) will float or sink in water and then record your results in a chart
Author: Fiona Macdonald
Consultant: David Parham
Dimensions: 9 X 12
Format: Paperback with holographic foil
Publisher: Miles Kelly Publishing Ltd
Number of pages: 48
Weight: 522 g
Dimensions: 297 x 228 x 10 mm
You may also be interested in...
Would you like to proceed to the App store to download the Waterstones App?