100 Facts - Knights & Castles (Paperback)Walker Jane (author)
- We can order this
100 Facts Knights and Castles is a non fiction book for kids, bursting with exactly 100 mind-blowing facts, awesome images and fun activities to help children learn everything they need to know about medieval soldiers and their castles.
100 Facts Knights and Castles contains key topics about knights and castle life of the Middle Ages in easily-digestible, numbered facts. Every page features detailed illustrations and colourful photographs that bring the text to life.
Essential topics covered in 100 Facts Kings and Queens:
- The feudal system, from the peasant class to the barons of the castle
- The changing designs of armour and improvements in castle battle and fortress defences
- How to be a brave knight in the Middle Ages
Examples of 'I don't believe it' fascinating facts:
- Soldiers called 'retrievers' used to run into the middle of the battle and collect up all the spare arrows.
- Some knights cheated in jousts by wearing special armour that was fixed onto the horse's saddle!
- The ropes used to wind up siege catapults were made from plaits of human hair!
Activities to make learning accessible and interactive include:
- The first letter of a manuscript, the 'illuminated letter', was much larger than the others and was decorated with pictures and patterns. Recreate this with your own name!
- Quiz question: Why did knights start to display a coat of arms?
- Design your own coat of arms using the basic rules of heraldry in this book. You need coloured paints, a paintbrush, thick white paper and a black felt pen
Author: Jane Walker
Consultant: Richard Tames
Dimensions: 9 X 12
Format: Paperback with holographic foil
Publisher: Miles Kelly Publishing Ltd
Number of pages: 48