SPQR QUIZ: How Roman Are You?
With Mary Beard’s SQPR being published in paperback next month, and her new BBC series about Romans on its way, we’re all asking the same question: how Roman am I?
Mary Beard is the author of SPQR, a colourful, engaging, and ultimately very human history of the Romans. Her writing makes the dusty and distant past seem vivid and current; she focuses less on the grand narrative and more on the small, deeply affecting, and often very amusing details of Roman life.
Here is a quiz with twenty questions that will show just how 'at-home' you would feel in a toga:
How Roman Are You?
It’s 212 CE and Emperor Caracalla of the Roman Empire has just granted full citizenship to every free inhabitant of the empire, no matter who they are.
Since the Roman Empire has extended throughout the British Isles, that includes all of us! But how ‘Roman’ are you, really? Take our quiz to find out.
Tick all that apply…
1. When I was younger all I wanted was to be a gladiator and fight in the arena.
2. I have a pet dog or a cat.
3. I get really excited when I’m travelling along a perfectly straight road.
4. I put olive oil on everything.
5. Purple is my colour: it makes me feel like I’m channelling my inner Emperor/Empress.
6. My dinner party speciality is roasted peacock, or if there aren’t any in Tesco, ostrich.
7. I'm great at public speaking.
8. I'm addicted to board games – chess, checkers, backgammon, even noughts and crosses.
9. It’s very important to me that my food is colour co-ordinated.
10. I’ve been known to gamble with my friends on occasion.
11. I wear sandals all the time, even in winter.
12. I have seen Gladiator at least ten times.
13. I prefer to eat my meals lounging on the sofa rather than sitting upright.
14. I love wandering around markets in my spare time.
15. Tight clothes make me itch – I feel most at home wrapped in a blanket or a double-bed sheet.
16. I love rowing or kayaking.
17. I love going out to live events on a Friday night – theatre, music, even
18. I like to drink wine with a meal.
19. A day in a sauna would be my idea of paradise.
20. Knives and forks are for losers – I eat with my hands, or, when really necessary, a spoon.
Calculate your percentage:
Insert your number of ticks... then divide by 20... times by 100 = % Roman!
Pre-order your copy of SPQR by Mary Beard for a chance to win an exclusive private tour of the remains of the Billingsgate Roman House & Baths, first discovered in 1848 hidden under the buildings on Lower Thames Street. Knowledgeable guides from the Museum of London will lead you on an unforgettable exploration of this amazing Roman site, which has rarely been open to the public!
Simply reserve online and pay at the counter when you collect. Available in shop from just two hours, subject to availability.
Thank you for your reservation
Your order is now being processed and we have sent a confirmation email to you at
When will my order be ready to collect?
Following the initial email, you will be contacted by the shop to confirm that your item is available for collection.
Call us on or send us an email at
Unfortunately there has been a problem with your order
Please try again or alternatively you can contact your chosen shop on or send us an email at