Patrick French's Writing Tips and Best Books by Young Authors
Patrick French won the award in 1998 for Liberty or Death: India’s Journey to Independence and Division
Patrick’s Writing Tips:
1. Believe in your talent, if you have it.
2. Ignore the peripheral.
3. Find a good editor.
Patrick’s Five Best Books by Young Writers:
1. A House for Mr Biswas by V.S. Naipaul
2. The Grass Is Singing by Doris Lessing
3. White Teeth by Zadie Smith
4. Moth Smoke by Mohsin Hamid
5. Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert (though Flaubert was touching the great age of 36)
Patrick French is the author of books including Younghusband, Liberty or Death and The World Is What It Is, and is presently at work on the authorised biography of Doris Lessing. He is a winner of the National Book Critics Circle Award for Biography, Somerset Maugham Award, Royal Society of Literature WH Heinemann Prize, Hawthornden Prize and The Sunday Times Young Writer of the Year Award.