Children's author of the award-winning Goodnight Mister Tom.
Michelle Magorian biography and information
- Michelle was born in 1947 in Portsmouth, Hampshire of a Welsh mother and Irish father with an Armenian surname.
- Michelle spent her toddler years in Singapore and two-and-a-half years in Australia. In between times, up to the age of eighteen, she lived in Portsmouth.
- She was educated at Kilbreda college, Mentone (Victoria, Australia) and the Covent of the Cross, Waterlooville, Hampshire.
- Michelle trained for the theatre at The Rose Bruford College of speech and drama in Kent from 1968 to 1969. It was during those years that she started writing regularly.
- From 1969-1970 she was a mime student at Marcel Marceau's L'Ecole International de Mime in Paris. Michelle also toured with her one-woman mime show in Italy and England.
- Michelle's first novel Goodnight Mister Tom grew out of two short stories. She wrote the book in between acting jobs and on Sunday when she was working in the theatre.
Book and writing awards
Similar authors to Michelle Magorian
Simply reserve online and pay at the counter when you collect. Available in shop from just two hours, subject to availability.
Thank you for your reservation
Your order is now being processed and we have sent a confirmation email to you at
This item can be requested from the shops shown below. If this item isn't available to be reserved nearby, add the item to your basket instead and select 'Deliver to my local shop' at the checkout, to be able to collect it from there at a later date.
When will my order be ready to collect?
Following the initial email, you will be contacted by the shop to confirm that your item is available for collection.
Call us on or send us an email at
Unfortunately there has been a problem with your order
Please try again or alternatively you can contact your chosen shop on or send us an email at