Novelist, food writer and finance expert...
John Lanchester biography and information
- John Lanchester was born in Hamburg, brought up in Hong Kong and educated in England, at Gresham's School, Holt and at St John's College, Oxford.
- Lanchester's journalism has appeared in Granta, The Observer, The New York Review of Books, The Guardian, the Daily Telegraph, The New Yorker and the London Review of Books, where he is a Contributing Editor.
- He also regularly writes on food and technology for Esquire.
- His award-winning debut novel The Debt to Pleasure draws on his love of food and follows increasingly sinister gourmet, Tarquin Winot on a mysterious journey around France.
- Fragrant Harbour (a literal translation of the place name, Hong Kong) is influenced by his upbringing in the colony.
- His memoir Family Romance (2007) recounts the story of his mother, a nun who walked out of the convent, changed her name, falsified her age, and concealed these facts from her husband and son until her death.
Book and writing awards
Whitbread Book Award, Hawthornden Prize (for The Debt to Pleasure).
Similar authors to John Lanchester
We're talking about...
Posted on 20th Nov, 2014 by John Lanchester
With David Cameron warning of another economic downturn, John Lanchester explains why it is important that we all learn How to Speak Money...