We regret that due to the technical limitations of our site, we are unable to offer eBooks or Audio Downloads to customers outside of the UK.
For further details please read our eBooks help.
J. R. R. Tolkien
The writer of one of the most-read books ever written... The Lord of the Rings.
J. R. R. Tolkien biography and information
- After serving in the First World War, J. R. R. Tolkien embarked on a distinguished academic career and was recognised as one of the finest philologists in the world.
- He is, however, best known as the creator of Middle-earth and author of such classic and extraordinary works of fiction as The Hobbit, The Lord of the Rings, The Silmarillion and The Children of Hurin.
- His books have been translated into more than 40 languages and have sold many millions of copies worldwide.
- He was awarded a CBE and an honorary Doctorate of Letters from Oxford University in 1972.
- Christopher Tolkien, born on 21st November 1924, is the third son of J. R. R. Tolkien. Appointed by Tolkien to be his literary executor, he has devoted himself since his father's death in 1973 to the editing and publication of unpublished writings, notably The Legend of Sigurd and Gudrun, The Silmarillion, and the collections entitled Unfinished Tales and The History of Middle-earth.
Similar authors to J.R.R. Tolkien
Books by J. R. R. Tolkien
We're talking about...
Posted on 12th Dec, 2014 by Laura Di Giuseppe
As we get ready for the final instalment in The Hobbit movie trilogy, we’ve decided to look at the evolution of The Hobbit covers, from the original facsimile edition to newly illustrated editions and film adaptations. Laura Di Giuseppe, J.R.R. Tolkien Brand Manager at HarperCollins Publishers has picked her favourite The Hobbit cover. Which one is yours?