Sigurd Lewerentz (1885 - 1975) was one of the major Swedish architects of the twentieth century and was particularly known for his important religious works. This definitive monograph is the only comprehensive survey of his work, celebrating his sensitive and distinctive response to modernism in a detailed survey of both built and planned projects. These span his embrace and rejection of the classical language of architecture and his turn instead towards modernism and a more austere design vocabulary. The book includes his best-known chapels of St Knut and St Gertrud in the Malmo cemetry (begun in 1916), the conversion of the cathedral in Uppsala, on which he worked for nearly ten years (1947 - 55), and the church of St Peter at Klippan (1962 - 6). The first section of the volume includes essays on Lewerentz's work by the late Colin St John Wilson and the editors Nicola Flora, Paolo Giardiello and Gennaro Postiglione, plus a text on cemeteries by Lewerentz that is the only known piece of writing by the architect. The central section contains a catalogue of Lewerentz's works presenting around 150 designs and constructions in chronological order with detailed descriptions, photographs and drawings. An anthology of criticisms includes a text by the renowned architect Alison Smithson. A complete list of works and a bibliography based on research in the archives of Stockholm's Museum of Architecture conclude the volume.
Pall Mall Press
Other books by this author See all titles
The prices displayed are for website purchases only, and may differ to the prices in Waterstones shops.