Round 2 of our Ultimate Writer contest kicks off today – who will get your vote?
Week one was a bloodbath – here are the names of the fallen:
- Anne McCaffrey lost out to H.P. Lovecraft – though there were concerns over his use of Cthulhu
- John Grisham was strangled by his own red tape, and Stephen King
- Stephenie Meyer was crushed by Anne Rice in the battle of the vampire masters
- Nicholas Sparks was no match for Octavia E. Butler‘s onslaught of SF brilliance
- Ursula K. Le Guin was the victim of a who-dunnit (Agatha Christie did)
- E.L. James fell victim to the ruthless pen of George R.R. Martin
- Marian Keyes proved too gentle a foe for the cunning, mysterious Robert Galbraith
- Malorie Blackman was toppled by the social media-magical-might of Neil Gaiman
Roll on Round 2!
In Round 2 we welcome some new challengers – mistress of the macabre, Mary Shelley; the Dune wanderer, Frank Herbert; guardian of the One Ring, J.R.R. Tolkien; Scotland’s fury, J.K. Rowling; nicest person in the world ever, Maeve Binchy; accidental Twitter-ace, Philip Pullman; Sir Arthur “The Deerstalker” Conan Doyle; and a woman who is no stranger to fighting her peers to the death Suzanne Collins.
As with Round 1, to take part, all you have to do is vote on which author you think should win the battle – the authors with the most votes in the first round will go through to face one of our eight seeded writers in the second. From then on, it’s a no-holds-barred slugfest all the way to the final round.
How will our fighters fare? You decide.
You can keep up with the action using the #UltimateWriter hashtag on Twitter. Let the battles commence!